• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Zyprexa (Olanzapine) & Psychosis.

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

I would like to Know, when is someone classified as "Psychotic" by the medical community. I have had depression for years and am taking antidepressants for this.However, my personality changed considerably post 2004 after going to prison.I became randomly AGGRESSIVE, performing acts of criminal damage to vent my anger at society.I would like to know if a change of medication would help me feel less agitated.Thanks for any help.

schiz01

schiz01

I would like to Know, when is someone classified as "Psychotic" by the medical community. I have had depression for years and am taking antidepressants for this.However, my personality changed considerably post 2004 after going to prison.I became randomly AGGRESSIVE, performing acts of criminal damage to vent my anger at society.I would like to know if a change of medication would help me feel less agitated.Thanks for any help.
Definitely talk to a doctor about it....It could be the meds your on causing it.
You would be considered psychotic when you have lost touch with reality or hold unreal or delusional beliefs.
That said you don't have to be psychotic to be prescribed an anti psychotic if you are seen to be a danger to yourself or others you will be prescribed them.
Anti-psychotics should be your last port of call in my opinion.In some cases doctors like to combine a small dose of anti psychotic with an anti depressant.There is a name for this but I cant remember.
In my opinion rather then go on the med merry go round and looking for a pill to solve your problems,I would be seeking the help of a psychologist and maybe even a combination of the two depending on how bad you are.

Talking about your problems and working through them is the best way to go.....If its all too much...then maybe some short term medication combined with therapy would be useful.
Everyone is different and reacts differently to these drugs and I would encourage to research and find out as much as you can about it.Weigh up the risks/benefits/potential dangers ect....

Hope this helps

N

nattyone

i think your considered to suffer from a psychotic episode if you see, hear , feel or believe things which arent there or are not likely to be true .

i am on an antisychotic because i suffered from hallucinations where i saw things that dont exist , like the smiling lobster that climbs my bedroom curtains or anneka rice comparing a canooing competition through a woody river ( which is my street which has no woods or river) or trying to hitch a ride on the flying taxis that very conveniently will pick me up from outside my bedroom window.

evidence suggests that none of the above are true thus i was at that time having a psychotic episode. im on seroquel now and since i havent seen anything like that.

personally at this point i belive that that episode was caused by not sleeping wich was caused by a manic episode , but since the seroquel enables me to sleep and not have nightmares and has apparantly reduced my anxiety . i stay on it but at a lower dose .

a little part of me wants to quit taking it just to see if i ever do hallucinate again , since it suxs to take a med forever based on a one time incident . but the nightmares were long term so they themselves could trigger all kinds of horrific things because of sleep deprivation.