Your struggles and coping with dissociation/depersonalisation/derealisation.

Heidrun

Heidrun

Hello all,

I've been coping with dissociation and the such for quite a while now. I am glad it's a bit better now, the standard dissociation low is a bit higher than normal.

I was wondering what your struggles are with dissociation/depersonalisation/derealisation in everyday life. Do you experience it as attacks from time to time or just a constant dissociation?

I have a dissociation that is almost 24/7 but there are better weeks and worse weeks, sometimes I get a sort of panic attack in combination with dissociation and I feel like the only thing holding me to this world is a thin thread (it's a very frightening thing). I am now in therapy and doing quite well :)

Hopefully you can shed some light on your struggles, coping with symptoms and how you feel about it.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

I may have some form of this. Like feeling like I'm not real or not from this universe. Weird terrifying stuff like that. It hits me out of nowhere like a ton of bricks. It usually happens to me at about 3:00P.M. when the sun is really bright. I don't know what triggers it either. But I think it may be something biblical. It's been happening since 2009 on and off mostly off. It first hit me the day before a huge move. I can't put into words how awful this feeling is. I am so sorry you suffer with this. :hug:

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

How are you feeling today o.p.? You are in my thoughts. I'm concerned for you because these feelings are horrid. I hope you are feeling better. :hug:

Heidrun

Heidrun

How are you feeling today o.p.? You are in my thoughts. I'm concerned for you because these feelings are horrid. I hope you are feeling better. :hug:
Thank you for your reply, doing mediocre here. Big brick hit me yesterday while in a public space, was very hard to cope with at the moment. Glad I had someone there with me.

It's indeed very awful and I hope you can get it a bit more stable in the future.

The best to you :hug:

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

Thank you for your reply, doing mediocre here. Big brick hit me yesterday while in a public space, was very hard to cope with at the moment. Glad I had someone there with me.

It's indeed very awful and I hope you can get it a bit more stable in the future.

The best to you :hug:
Sorry you're still feeling bad. I had a bout with this on Thursday. I hope we can get through this. 🤗

K

kingyee

I just recently researched this and now have a term to connect to how i feel. Almost 24/7 i deal with this when i'm with people. I can feel the shift when somebody is talking, like i'm being sucked into my own space & i'm observing me listening to whoever is talking. Sometimes in a group setting I'll be fine but when i noticed i'm fine the change in dimensions happens & i start crawling in my own skin.. observing. Dissassociation is real, ugh.

Hope you all are okay, sorry about the brick.

Also Bibilical? how?

E

EmilyNG

It started for me as something that lasted for a few minutes when my anxiety was triggered during very specific events but 4 months ago I had a panic attack that put me in a state of extreme disassociation and brain fog. I could't look at myself in a mirror because it didn't look like me and I couldn't interact with the world as I had no ability to be present in it.

It does get better through a lot of perseverance trying to live my life normally the fog started to lift and the disassociation reduced to a manageable level. I still live with it 24/7 with the intensity going up and down dependant on situations. I very much agree with kingyee that during conversations my brain feels like its pulling me away, its comes back stronger if I have noticed its reduced and it is much greater when I am doing something that confronts my anxiety.

Does anyone who finds themselves going in and out of periods of dissociation have any tips on how they 'snap out of it'? The best I can offer so far, to reduce it at least, is carry on with life regardless of it and try as much as possible to be accepting and not fearful of it. But equally talk about it and challenge it. At the end of the day its an anxiety symptom and curing anxiety means facing the fear.

Heidrun

Heidrun

It started for me as something that lasted for a few minutes when my anxiety was triggered during very specific events but 4 months ago I had a panic attack that put me in a state of extreme disassociation and brain fog. I could't look at myself in a mirror because it didn't look like me and I couldn't interact with the world as I had no ability to be present in it.

It does get better through a lot of perseverance trying to live my life normally the fog started to lift and the disassociation reduced to a manageable level. I still live with it 24/7 with the intensity going up and down dependant on situations. I very much agree with kingyee that during conversations my brain feels like its pulling me away, its comes back stronger if I have noticed its reduced and it is much greater when I am doing something that confronts my anxiety.

Does anyone who finds themselves going in and out of periods of dissociation have any tips on how they 'snap out of it'? The best I can offer so far, to reduce it at least, is carry on with life regardless of it and try as much as possible to be accepting and not fearful of it. But equally talk about it and challenge it. At the end of the day its an anxiety symptom and curing anxiety means facing the fear.
Thanks for sharing :)
Usually going to a place of comfort (for me that's the woods) and using all your senses. So start with focusing on sounds around (birds and the wind), then smell a flower or something with a strong odor, touch the things around you and taste something (like berries or something but mostly I am also carrying a strong candy or fresh mint or a pepper, I also use this in case of emergency :p) For me this focusing and using your senses takes me back. [I actually read these tips on the forum and my therapist told me].

And yes conversations can be very bad to trigger it indeed...

The best to you :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1