• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Your experiences??? been prescribed some anti depressants but am really wary of taking them.

blacktulip

blacktulip

Your experiences??? been prescribed some anti depressants but am really wary of taking them.

Hi i have been prescribed some anti depressants but am really wary of taking them; has anyone taken or taking Sertraline Hydrochloride? and what are your experiences?
I would really really prefer not to take anything but am not quite sure what to do for the best.

BORTU

BORTU

Hi Tulip,

I am not on that med, but as a general rule, if a doc gives you a medication it is because he thinks it will do you good. So take it and see what happens.

S

starfish

hi black tulip. my hubby takes this one. its the ad with the least side effects. like all ads it will take a few weeks to kick in. what dose are you on?

blacktulip

blacktulip

I guess your right Bortu thank you

Good to know they have the least side effects Starfish, ill be on 50mg?

L

Lizzie1257

Hi blacktulip,

Just to let you know I feel exactly the same when it comes to meds now - I have been for the past couple of months but I never used to be. I'm refusing to take most my meds now so I know how your feeling. And I agree Bortu. Thing is I find it hard to say I wanna take them now coz I got told not long back when I asked about getting medication for my panic attacks that meds wouldn't help me then I got put on Diazipam I think it is and I ain't taking any since I got them a couple of months back. :( it's hard when u get told no tablet will help by a certain other doctor in the surgery then you get told by your GP it can and will help.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I took sertraline for some time a few years ago and it worked very well for me, until, as with many of them, I got used to them and they started losing their effects. I then switched to citalopram with no probs and that too kept me stable for several years. I do hear though that sertraline is quite difficult to come off unless it's done really slowly or replaced with another similar drug, something to do with short half-life.

blacktulip

blacktulip

Hi Trombone_babe and Spaceman

Thank you i am taking both your comments on board, thank you again xx

CelticTwilight

CelticTwilight

I think it is good that you are giving this some thought if you do not 'want' to take anything. I found having the drugs (first beta blockers then more recently citalopram) in my home helped and I didn't actually need to take them. I had been taking St John's wort for around 6 months when prescribed with citalopram but in the time lag of giving up the SJW a sick note got me out of the main difficulty, going to the job centre. When I next saw the doctor he said we could put it on hold taking the Citalopram as I had picked up in such a short space of time and instead would monitor me more regularly, this included diet, exercise and alcohol levels. Then I had a spell doing some voluntary work. For me a change of lifestyle helped me actively manage so that when I get really low this is what I review first and so far so good although I am probably going to struggle with mental illness for some time longer and that neither a change or any medication will get rid of it overnight, it is all about how best to manage our day to day lives IMHO. I still haven't ruled out taking anti-depressants and I still have SJW and Citalopram in my home and even though I have been very low for several weeks after an ESA appeal went against me I haven't felt the need to go anywhere near them. Obviously we are all different but I hope this helps rather than muddles things.

CT

blacktulip

blacktulip

Thank you CT

No this has not muddled things up and thank you for your reply. I used to take St Johns Wort but unfortunately it gave me really bad nightmares. I am still holding off taking Sertraline but like you said i have them in my house if i really feel i need to take them. I am however taking the beta blockers as i cannot seem to get through a day without them without having a panic attack. I hope you aren't feeling as low and things are looking up for you.

Bt