Your experience of hospital?

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

I mean strictly mental health hospitals or psychiatric wards, or any hospital dealing with mental health issues.

I was reading this article online just now...

A Day in the Life of a Mental Hospital Patient | World of Psychology

...and I couldn't help noticing certain some similarities, but mostly differences, between the account given in the article and my own experience of the psychiatric ward.
I guess every hospital is a bit different?

I wanted to ask the folks on this forum what their experiences of hospitals dealing with mental health has been like? Was it scary? Did the staff and nurses treat you well? Were the other patients okay?

I'm just a bit curious to know what mental health hospitals are like for everyone and if your experiences differ greatly from mine.

V

Viktoria

I didn't read the article but my experiences are VERY different in each hospital. I've been in four different ones. Some were terrible. Punished with seclusion for bad behaviour, some are sort of okay, the nurses and everything.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I don't have a detailed memory. I remember moments. But I do recall that I relaxed in hospital, sometimes I would look out the window and there was not any people about. I thought I was in a spaceship.

The experience was positive for me.

C

Christobel

The only bit I definitely identified with was the last meds of the day. People were queueing in the corridor with their PJs and dressing gowns on at least 20 minutes befor meds time. Some, including me, sat on the floor of the corridor while waiting. This was the last thing to do, and then we could go to bed and shUt the door on the world.

shaky

shaky

That hospital sounds fantastic. All the stuff she got to do during the day.
Where I went it was.
Get up and have breakfast
Have morning meds with temperature taken.
Lunch
Tea
Even meds
Hot chocolate and toast before bed.

No therapy. No groups. No exercise. No recreation. No education. No anything.
You can watch TV
Or not watch TV

It still disgusts me really, how we were just abandoned to take the meds and that was all. Nothing else.

Apart from that I think I was lucky as the other inmates on my ward were pretty calm and quiet and didn't upset each other. A few days I had to spend on another ward was disturbing with people shouting and stuff that I found upsetting being rather delicate and sensitive at the time.

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

Shaky, that sounds quite similar to what my hospital was like.

The girl in the article had some bad symptoms from the sound of it, but the ward she was in sounds a lot better than mine.

Nobody was very sociable in my ward and none of the patients spoke to each other. Everyone seemed very quiet and withdrawn, though some of the older patients were happy to speak to the nurses.
Nobody really used the TV room, I guess they didn't like staying in the same room as other patients for long?

The food was kinda decent, but nothing special. The only coffee we were allowed was decaf.

There were a few recreational activities available, but I never used them and I don't know how many others did.

I only spoke to the nurses a few times for assessments and I spoke to the psychiatrist only twice. Most of the time I was just left to my own devices and I would just stay in my room reading, sleeping or pacing back and forth.

Honestly, the girl in the article sounds like she got it pretty easy. Almost like a youth club of sorts.

V

vimes

My experience, I hated the meds, I hid them and threw them away in the smoke room. None could know who's they were there.
Constantly watched, sitting outside my room watching me, going everywhere with me, rapid tranquilisings. The pdocs were poisoning me, trying to change me into a human. When they failed to do it they sent me thought messages to go and kill me, which I tried.
I hated the food, the walls the ...everything.

But they were endlessly patient and after a very long time I managed to get my health back. Don't want to go back there ever again.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It seems strange now, but yeah we had a smoking room too. In a NHS hospital. It is unbelievable now. Smoking is like the Antichrist according to the NHS.

So yeah we used to smoke in there. We used to watch TV and videos. We would talk to each other - made some friends. We also had groups and classes to go to.

I was pretty young at the time, 24 and 26 - and could relax better. My parents/ brother/ friends visited me - it was okay.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've got no idea why some people feel the girl in the article was on a good ward. It sounds like remedial kindergarten to me. And why was she on an acute ward when she had anorexia, it's well known acute wards make people with EDs worse not better.

She seems to have found it positive though. And at least there is no mention of staff being rude and abusive etc which was certainly something going on when I was in hospital

F

flatz

When I was last on a psychiatric ward it was in a huge converted victorian house, I stayed in my room most of the time, I was convinced I was the incredible hulk.
The house was used as an overflow for the main MH hospital located in the city.

Kerome

Kerome

I don't have any direct experience of a psychiatric ward myself, I've managed to avoid them so far but I can tell a little of what I've seen when visiting friends and watching "Anita gets Admitted", a Dutch tv programme where a documentary maker goes undercover in a couple of dutch psychiatric wards.

Basically the wards are quite nice, very neutral places in beige, individual sleeping rooms, shared activities like games and puzzles, an outside area, a small gym, sometimes access to facilities like a bigger sports room for team sports like volleyball, shared cooking some days, and therapy sessions on an individual basis depending on what you have.

A friend of mine with serious depression is currently staying at a closed ward, she was voluntarily admitted and gets some talking therapy. It's very quiet there, not so much with the shared activities.

But these places are all separate facilities, they are not wards in a big hospital or anything even though I'm calling them "wards" and technically they are part of a larger organisation. They are quite large houses, on the scale of 10-15 bedrooms, with all custom rooms for facilities like a gym, and secure and enclosed.

Passionflower

Passionflower

When I was last in psych hospital it was 2010. The rooms were nice and we had one each with an ensuite shower room each. There was an OT department ,table tennis, gym, tv rooms,smoking room a nice courtyard and garden.There were vending machines for tea, coffee and food like chocolate and crisps. Most of the staff were nice and two female ones were pretty horrible. Food was actually quite nice.I spent my time talking in the tv rooms, drinking coffee or eating.A lot of time was spent in therapy groups which were okay I suppose or doing relaxation. I saw the psychiatrist about twice a week and a psychologist about the same.I was also in hospital in the 1980's and the two experiences were so different, like night and day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1