you guys will know better than me, do i need to see a therapist?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I remember my p/doc asking me a question about my MH and my mum. (She caused a lot of my problems) and I said it’s because I’m weak and can’t cope. She told me it was the exact opposite that I had coped against really harsh odds for so long and put things behind me whilst I carried on. The problem was I had lived on an overproduction of Adrenalin for so long, that now I didn’t have problems in my life my body couldn’t cope and just crashed.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
My mothers one of them (narcissistic cow) she has told me many times 'I'm too strong for all that," ..then she would add.."and so are your brothers" ..well, anyway shes out of my life thank goodness
This sounds awful but I feel the same about my mum. Luckily I had a fantastic dad who made up for all my mums abuse.

megirl

megirl

Sounds very similar to my experience.
The psychologist I'd been seeing since my last admission pretty much said the same thing.
After she found out a lot about when I was young and my upbringing, it all made a lot of sence to her.
Though my dad I got on really well with and loved him as a child I thought he hated me too. But then I knew he loved me.
As an adult looking back my mother wouldn't behave how she did when my dad was home she could be ok too me. But my dad worked long hours and of course he didn't see all the abuse she inflicted on me because she didn't do that when he was home.
She could be ok when he was home.
He didn't actually know about her behaviour

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Sounds very similar to my experience.
The psychologist I'd been seeing since my last admission pretty much said the same thing.
After she found out a lot about when I was young and my upbringing, it all made a lot of sence to her.
Though my dad I got on really well with and loved him as a child I thought he hated me too. But then I knew he loved me.
As an adult looking back my mother wouldn't behave how she did when my dad was home she could be ok too me. But my dad worked long hours and of course he didn't see all the abuse she inflicted on me because she didn't do that when he was home.
She could be ok when he was home.
He didn't actually know about her behaviour
Sounds like we had the a similar upbringing. She was never violent to us in front of dad. But our family GP new something was wrong as I had my first breakdown at 14 and advised me to leave home as soon as I could. Why he never got her to see a psychiatrist I don’t know. But in today’s times we would have been taken into care.

L

Lunar Lady

My mothers one of them (narcissistic cow) she has told me many times 'I'm too strong for all that," ..then she would add.."and so are your brothers" ..well, anyway shes out of my life thank goodness
I can sooooo relate to this! My narcissistic mother dismisses all mental and emotional struggles on my part, because "Our family is far too strong for depression."

My lowest ebbs and periods of nursing myself have been re-labelled and packaged as 'Glandular Fever' to suit her sensibilities...episodes glossed over by describing my situation to family members as "she's fighting a virus".

There is no reason why anybody shouldn't be able to live as their authentic selves and express their reality truthfully. After years of suffering my family's 'silent stigma' it's a breath of fresh air to be able to talk openly about depression and to have a reason why life is so challenging, rather than just thinking of myself as a failure who can't 'pull themselves together.'

Maxr, sometimes less obvious and extreme symptoms go under the radar...I spent years thinking I was just emotionally flat-lining through life because that was my personality.

Any support, medication and coping strategies that give you quality of life far outweigh the risk of a mental health label...life is so much lonelier and overwhelming when society just writes you off as 'a failure'.

Loads of love to you - get all the support you can and be open. xx

megirl

megirl

How bizzare. She would say that too. That I must have glandular fever. Others times telling others i've got some virus.
Its sad as if I'd got help early on, things could have been different.
At least I don't have anything to do with her anymore

L

Lunar Lady

Wish I could say the same.

My mother's 83 now...not the sweet, benign old lady from the movies - more like Jekyll and Hyde...and starting on the road to dementia.

And guess who gets to look after her? :doh:

After years of practise, I can laugh most of it off, thank goodness. x

F

FriendsFanaticSince1999

Aw hi Max I know how you feel, it is not cheap at all, luckily for me where i live i have "Access Sefton" which is a free service, but without that, i would struggle to get therapy as i have severe anxiety.

I think what is probably best is for you to have a discussion with your doctor and he or she may refer you to a dietitian to help you with your dieting issues and they may also refer you to a practice drugs counsellor if they have one if you feel as though you're realing on cannibis for the feeling of normality.

There is no shame in feeling your childhood phobias from time to time, especially if you are having night sweats which must be extremely distressing anyway and is what is probably making you even more scared of the dark.

Even though it is a good sign that you are not actually thinking of hurting yourself, you did mention suicidal tendencies, which would most probably gradually disappear if you got in touch with your GP, disussing anti-depressants is also an option, however, these work very differently on all different people, so dont lose hope if you do start them and dont find them much use, as there are plenty of other options I am sure the proffessionals will discuss with you.

Hope this helps and hope you are feeling better soon. Kind regards, Joanne.