• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Yoga Anyone????

He1ena

He1ena

Founding Member
It's got to be said, that when it comes to alternative therapies etc, I'm not so keen. However, do to my rapid weight gain from Mirtazapine and the fact I'm sick of feeling low and expecting the NHS to help, I have started trying different workouts. I've little to no energy and so selected short regimes.

I borrowed an exercise bike from my brother and downloaded some spinning (Spinervals) programs. I had done spinning before at a local gym but due to my scaring from excessive self harming I lost the confidence to go. Spinning is basically a workout on an exercise bike accompanied by your favorite motivational music. It's so good! You sweat like mad so make sure you have time for a shower before meeting anyone gorgeous. You shed pounds and there is now evidence to support the claim that exercise is related to positive mental health as indicated by relief in symptoms of depression and anxiety! However, spinning can be a little tough on those not wanting to slog their gut out for a little emotional high.

Therefor, I must highly recommend YOGA!!!! It too is brilliant for your mood. I thought that it always looked easy (apart from needing to be bendy). I have downloaded Yoga Zone's Weight Loss For Beginners. It is around half an hour long. It is really well explained and i only really struggled the first time to follow the steps. After then i could focus on extending the movements and breathing properly. There is a tantric section at the end where you basically meditate and set you personal goal in your head. I thought that this was a load of mumbo jumbo, but when it finishes i fell so energised and happy. I've also noticed that i feel so much thinner even tho I've only lost a couple of pound. I still don't think i would start meditating when i start panicking, but i gives a little boost at other times. Plus it keeps me occupied on a night(when i start thinking about negative things)

Any one else tried these kind of things?

On a completely different note, I took up jogging through the summer and i used to push my baby in her pram whilst i was out. I had her weighed for the first time in ages today, she's two and a half stone! Guess that'll get the weight off my when the weather gets a bit better!

D

Dollit

This sounds really interesting Helena - can you post the link for the download so I can have a look? Ta! :tea:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
A lot of positive's there He1ena :)
:clap: Welldone .

He1ena

He1ena

Founding Member
This is the link to down load the Yoga Zone Weight loss for beginners (Apologies for the pictures on the link in advance, hope they're not offensive to anyone-I didn't put them on lol-just a warning so no one complains and comes to get me!):

http://www.torrentspy.com/search?query=yoga+zone&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Its the second one down.

I have no idea when it comes to computers, so my partner downloaded Utorrent for me so i could download things easy. The link is:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=utorrent&tag=srch

I think i have the first one but the second one has higher reviews, Tizz up to you! Hope they're of some help!!!!

I did my yoga last night and i feel so relaxed today. I'm on beater blockers for severe migraines which cripple me for at least two hours every morning (not good when you have a screaming two year old!), my tablets don't really help, but since i started this its calmed them right down. I've had one maybe two a week, which is great for me!

If anyone is interested in the spinning i can post these links. I'm going to give Pilate's a go in the next week I've got some links for that too!

Let me know how you all get along! :)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I like exercise, i feel it helps, i use a bullworker and go swimming, the research that got drs in britain interested was done by mind after they got a grant from cannons gyms, a conflict though those things are common in the states

I've tryed yoga, i like it, i'm thinking of trying it at the local leisurs centre once i've organised concessionary rates, a lot depends on whether i can handle the people

I'm into alternative therapies, my faith in the NHS and it's stabilised on medication cure is as low as it can get, drug addiction with GPS the pushers more like

He1ena

He1ena

Founding Member
I totally agree. This is the second time I've been asked to stop my meds whilst my councilor and doctor organize a different type. My meds where making me so tired my two year old was unable to wake me through the night when she cried. Both times I've been nervous with out pills as i thought I'd break down, but in fact i feel so much better.

I used to take allot of recreational drugs before i was diagnosed with depression. I know they were no good for me but they never made me as dazed and unresponsive as the anti depressants do. Any one ever seen the film awakenings? I know its on a whole different level but its the only way I can describe it. I know I'll get prescribed the next drug down the line pretty soon, and I'll have to take it, but i do feel so much better.

ramboghettouk what's bullworker?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
A bullworker is a spring with ropes you can use for exercise, when my last one wore out i looked for another one on the net, i was referred by a search engine to a disability web site, either i'm down as disabled on the internet or a lot of the walking wounded are in bedsits and only have room for a bullworker.

I've seen the film awakenenings, my addiction after 30yrs on drugs more addictive than heroin, at least if you come off heroin they don't lock you up and force you back on it, i see no way out of it, i have no wish to be locked up either.

S

Surviving Butterfly

Founding Member
Ive recently started Yoga, in addition to the Reiki and crystal healing i have been having.

in the space of 3 weeks i am already noticing a change in body shape and a distinct calm feeling.

i am also using some of the morning moves to get me out of bed and the whole thing is so much part of life already- for example the breathing.
If i am really ticked off, i take some slow deep breaths and it calms me so quickly.

Amazing stuff.

He1ena

He1ena

Founding Member
what is Reiki and crystal healing? live next door to a hairdressers with a beauty clinic upstairs. One of the windows has reiki written in it. Prob be able to get it there what ever its is lol

S

Surviving Butterfly

Founding Member
what is Reiki and crystal healing? live next door to a hairdressers with a beauty clinic upstairs. One of the windows has reiki written in it. Prob be able to get it there what ever its is lol
In a nutshell - reiki balances the bodies energy by the placing of hands on or above certain parts of the body. These relate to the chakras ( basically energy points around the body) and bring them back into allignment. It is a fully clothed thing and they dont even need to physically touch you if you are not comfortable with that.

Crystals are believed to contain different properties which can aid mental and physical illness or dis-ease.

these pages might help give a small idea in a bit more detail.

http://www.reiki.org/FAQ/WhatIsReiki.html
http://www.gems4friends.com/therapy.html

And i am sure that if you ask in the local shop - then they will help explain it a bit more - might even get a bit of a trial just to show you how it works.

Good luck!

A

Angie Clinton

Yoga is very good for your shape. I like it very much.

A

Angie Clinton

Well. Thanks for your link. I also like yoga. it makes me very comfortable.

G

Ghuman333

Yeah, here I do yoga workout.
It is an excellent exercise for my physical fitness and mental stability.
It helped me a lot to control my body weight and also to handle my stress and depression condition.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Smitch said:
I like work out, i experience it allows, i use a bull worker and go diving, the analysis that got doctors in England fascinated was done by thoughts after they got a allow from cannons fitness center, a issue though those techniques are typical in the states
cannons fitness centre got involved with mind they offered money in return for mind saying their gyms were good for the health, as has been said those sort of things are common in america

shaky

shaky

I went to yoga last night - have been doing since 2007
But this time we did something new
Rotating the spine at different points from the bottom right to the top.
It was extraordinary
My mind just emptied of thoughts and I felt so - empty
Which might sound bad, but is good - because when the mind is full of thoughts it is stressful.
So once again yoga proves to be beneficial.
I recommend it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Wellbeing 4
Z Wellbeing 1