Yesterday, all my troubles.

TheRedMenace

TheRedMenace

Im sure you know the rest. Yesterday I was diagnosed as bipolar and my psych prescribed me with Priadel and Olanzapine.

Yesterday I was flying, today Im very very tired, hope Im not going to be like this from now on.
Don't know whether to be happy I have a diagnosis, or upset (suppose it depends if Im depressed or manic!).

Anyway, another one joins your ranks. So a big hello to you all, Ive been a "lurker" for a couple of weeks.

Hellbilly

Hellbilly

Hello menace and :welcome:
There's loads of support and help here
And we all quite friendly

Hope to chat to you soon

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya TheRedMenace and :welcome: to the forum.

I also have bipolar and understand. You will feel exhausted at first, that is your body adjusting to the meds. Lithium (Priadel), will take quite a few months to really make you feel better, it has to have the right levels and you will need blood tests to check you regularly.

I found having a diagnosis was initially a welcome as I couldn't understand my behaviour and felt so guilty for it. However, I am learning that it doesn't mean I have to be defined by medication for the rest of my life.

Now I am stable, I am doing DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy), which was originally created for people with Borderline, but now is being used for other conditions. I am hoping that if I do it and it works, eventually (?) I may be able to get off meds. But, and its a big but, I did need them at first and may need them in the future.

TheRedMenace

TheRedMenace

Thanks guys, Ive went through this forum and its great to know there are many people out there, and Im not alone.
Calypso, thank you so much, its good to know that Ill get there, Ive never been so tired in my life!!! No wonder the psychiatrist made me take 4 weeks off my work.
Ive to get blood tests starting next week, and I know theres a long long journey ahead, still this is the first step!!
Interesting youre going through other therapy, good luck with it.

Gary