• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Xmas - Eating - How do you cope?

M

Mad_Dog

so ive struggled with anorexia for 5-6 years though in the last couple of years ive managed to maintain a healthy weight for my height. however in the last 6-7 months i have relapsed.
Obviously the big day is fast approaching!!! I am terrified of sitting down eating Christmas dinner with family and then another christmas dinner on boxing day.

i was wondering how other people cope with the anorexic thoughts?
how do you manage to get through the day?

H

hamlet_cat

Well I have just recovered from anorexia myself. My main issue is or was not eating for fear of gaining too much weight. There is no way you could eat more than 1 lb of extra weight over the holidays anyways. However I do understand your fears, but they are psychological and not realistic problems. Anorexia is a very complex eating disorder. For me it was mainly my family that caused my eating disorder. They would constantly be doing things that made me feel unloved, so I used food as a substitute for love. Then later I developed anorexia which is basically starving yourself because you don't feel your life has any value, because you feel unloved. Now I don't spend as much time with my family and instead spend it with people that make me feel loved and respected. I am going to be with my family for a day and a half. But I told my husband that if they treat me with any disrespect at all, we are getting into our car and going home. Sounds harsh, but in my case part of my recovery is learning how not to let people treat me poorly. Setting boundaries with other people is the right thing to do, not only for yourself but also for other people whether they like it or not.
I don't know if any of this helps, but this is based on my experience with anorexia.

Last edited by a moderator:
ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I used to eat even less than usual for several days cos then i felt like i had calories to spare. Problem was i would get so stressed at the actual time if i ate which i forced myself to do i would feel ill for several days after and not eat anything sio I always ended up losing more weight over the xmas period. Please dont follow my solution to this which has been to not eat at all in front of people so now i can no longer do that at all which has led to me being even more isolated than ever. Anorexia likes isolation. Christmas and any occasions that involve eating are hard for people with ED i know

M

Mad_Dog

thanks both for the advice.
i guess setting boundaries would be good i sometimes feel like i have to do anything i can to please people. i guess i put to much pressure on myself. i feel like im unloveable. i guess food is the only thing i can control.
i will probably end up losing weight over xmas because been restricting and stressing about xmas and boxing day. i just want to be free of having an eating disorder.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

over ate purged ate some more

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Mad Dog,

How did you manage Christmas Day? It can be really hard with everyone's expectations for you to eat. I've struggled with bulimia and binge eating, and I've been very stressed about the whole Christmas season of eating as well, and have also been restricting in advance of Christmas Day. I can understand how difficult it must be for you. Unfortunately I don't have any good advice for how to handle the holiday eating, because I've also chosen restrictive ways of dealing with it. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in struggling with holiday feasting.

M

Mad_Dog

hi prairiechick

managed to get though christmas and boxing day. lucky had a buffet for xmas dinner so could avoid the more high calorific food. boxing day managed to get away with not eating much.
also went to gym a few times and walked my dog, so that helped the guilty feeling of eating.
actually lost weight over xmas
i know i shouldn't be happy about that but i keep asking for help from my mental health team, and gp and im getting nowhere.
thanks for your reply. it helps to know im not the only person who struggles. - i wouldn't wish an eating disorder on anyone

megirl

megirl

Its bloody hard isnt it.
I have this goal try not to eat much at all, have lost a couple of kilos which is a turning point for me I havnt been eating much that when i do eat ok i feel sick and end up vomiting now i just want to lose but i feel better for it but somehow i need to get back to eating well again easier said than done.
Hope you can get some professional help soon keep trying
I hope you can get where you can eat without the guilt etc if only life was easy
x

M

Mad_Dog

hi megirl

it is so hard and so fustrationg. its hard when people you around dont understand. even drs dont seem to get it. ive had doctors tell me to just eat. - if i could i would! and also the comment - do you want a feeding tube down your throat? - like i would want that to happen!!
I hope everyone who is struggling with an eating disorder can overcome it quickly. xx