• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Xanax and Zoloft

M

mtman899

I have been prescribed Zoloft and Xanax today but waiting for it to arrive via mail.
I've heard a lot of horror stories about Zoloft about addiction etc etc
anyone had experiences with these before?
I have had a few days attack free and definitely paranoid.

L

LacyInModesto

I cant speak of addiction, but I went off of both last August after the Zoloft caused hyperserotonia.

In 2004, Xanax was rx'ed for me 50mg, BID, but I ended up taking it as needed because it always left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth and it made me emotionless while on it.

Best of luck with your new meds!

M

mtman899

Zoloft made me unable to sleep and very nervous and lead to another panic attack, doctor took me off of it immediately.
I hate being paranoid over all of this.
Trying the Xanax tonight before bed.
This sucks.

B

BP2

Zoloft made me unable to sleep and very nervous and lead to another panic attack, doctor took me off of it immediately.
I hate being paranoid over all of this.
Trying the Xanax tonight before bed.
This sucks.
I had a similar experience with Prozac it made me ******* crazy. I have never been so anxious in my life and having panic attack after panic attack. Probably the worst 21 days of my life.

My GP also took me off it!.

It is well known that SSRIs can do this in the first few weeks. I had similar problems with Venlafaxine when starting from scratch after a breakdown, but was OK when switching from another AD in a relatively stable state.

There is quite a lot in the literature about co-prescribing a Benzo with an SSRI for the first few weeks in anxious patients.

Trust you are feeling a bit better now. ATB.

M

mtman899

Took the Xanax last night had was out like a light woke up grumpy this morning not sure if it was the meds or not lol.
Meeting with a psychiatrist tue hopefully I can find another form of treatment cause I hate taking meds.
Under a lot of stress and going through child custody soon so I think it is making things a lot worse, pacing around a lot daily and constant worry, mix that in with my panic disorder and it really has been horrible.
Doctor is a hour a way and normally have to pull over a few times to catch my breath when trying to drive long distance.

G

gym-junki

i know my dr doesnt like to priscribe benzodiazepines because of the addiction and u end up wanting more and more i still carry it around with me everywhere i go and i only took it for a week that was 3 months ago

U

univengr

It is ironic that you are worried about addiction to Zoloft (Sertraline), when you should be worried about addiction to Xanax (Alprazolam.) Zoloft is not addictive per se. You have to withdraw from it slowly, if, and when you withdraw. But with Xanax you have to withdraw very slowly and carefully. Returning to Zoloft just don't withdraw abruptly. Other than all this I hope you do fine on Zoloft and Xanax. It is a workable combination. Good luck. Just hang in there!