Wy is it so hard to get myself out the door?

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I need to go pick up prescriptions and a few groceries, but at 2:30 pm I am still in my pyjamas, although I have done some tidying and dishes in the kitchen and taken out the garbage and recycling. I've also gotten meals ready for the week ahead, so I won't have to do any cooking (just basic rice and beans with corn and salsa all measured into bowls ready to go in the microwave, and a big bowl of veggies ready to be made into Greek salad to take to work for lunch).

But getting dressed, putting on a bit of make-up, and heading out the door is such a huge task that I put off doing all week end long. For some reason I seem to dread going out and I dread going shopping, but it's not a problem to get out the door when I have to go to work in the morning (tue-fri).

R

Rose19602

I'm the same. I put off going out as well as doing countless chores outside the home.
I've put it down to procrastination....which is one of my many faults.
The effort of putting on make-up and looking socially acceptable is another thing I often just cannot be bothered with, unless I have to. I don't dread it, like you, but I do avoid.
I used to do it without blinking....but it feels like so much effort now.
I empathise.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I never used to have any problem getting out the door for any reason. I loved going for walks, and I would walk for hours. But now it's so hard. Sometimes I think my antidepressant isn't working, and sometimes I think there's no point being on all the meds I'm on since I still continue to struggle so much.

krista

krista

On my days off, I struggle endlessly to get out of the house. It just seems so wrong.

On work days i set my alarm an hour before so i can get out of bed.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, I do the same with my alarm. I hit snooze countless times before I stagger out of bed in the morning.

krista

krista

I think I ned to put my alarm on even earlier than 6:30 am. I struggle to get out of bed before7:30 am which is too late.

But I hope it gets better for you, pc! Hugs xxxx

Kerome

Kerome

For me it has a lot to do with meds, before I started taking them I would consistently wake up at around 7 and be fully awake and ready to go by 8.30. But until recently I would wake at 9 and it takes me until 11 before I really feel awake and aware. Now that I'm on lower doses of meds it is getting a little easier. Still it has a big effect.

krista

krista

For me it has a lot to do with meds, before I started taking them I would consistently wake up at around 7 and be fully awake and ready to go by 8.30. But until recently I would wake at 9 and it takes me until 11 before I really feel awake and aware. Now that I'm on lower doses of meds it is getting a little easier. Still it has a big effect.
For me it's the other way around. On meds it takes me an hour, but off meds i might not get out of bed at all.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
I don't bother with makeup anymore and I wear whatever is comfortable.
It is still hard to get me to go anywhere unless it is to buy yarn or the rare out to eat at a restaurant.
I also used to like to go and do and took care with my appearance.
I think it is the constant wear of a daily chronic level of depression that I just can't shake. and some PTSD, it freaks me out to bump into people I know when I am out.

krista

krista

I don't bother with makeup anymore and I wear whatever is comfortable.
It is still hard to get me to go anywhere unless it is to buy yarn or the rare out to eat at a restaurant.
I also used to like to go and do and took care with my appearance.
I think it is the constant wear of a daily chronic level of depression that I just can't shake. and some PTSD, it freaks me out to bump into people I know when I am out.
I've started wearing make up because I'm socially very anxious and I need every confidence boost I can get.
when I was out of work, I used to lounge around the house in my nightie until afternoon and stuff. now I find that showing my real face to people (and not just mentally/emotionally) makes me very uncomfortable.

S

secretsurvivor1

I relate to all these posts; depression can make you a prisoner. sometimes the only thing that will get me moving is knowing a visitor is coming; then I will rush around to clear mess, wash up, take rubbish out, and when the visitor comes I beg them can we go for a walk, and if anyone approaches us will they promise to answer for me, which they agree to. Then sometimes when I'm out I actually manage to say hello and yes it is to whatever they say about the weather or the news. (Stuck indoors I often don't notice the weather, and I have refused to watch the news for years as too depressing). It is so bad when life is such a struggle. Once I started going outdoors every day for a walk and then it was a habit I could maintain. But when I stop (because I am ill or depressed or busy) I find it v hard to get back into going out at all.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think for me it is partly the meds. Before meds I had no trouble getting out of bed. I just wish I could get myself out for walks more often, because I do enjoy it when I get out. It just takes an enormous amount of effort and sometimes I don't have what it takes.