• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Wrong to like mania?

rainbowsocks

rainbowsocks

Is it wrong to like being manic? I find myself wishing/wanting to be manic because it feels good compared to how I normally feel. The energy, creativity, euphoria, etc give me such a high that I feel depressed when I come back down even though it's just going back to a "normal" mood and not true depression. I only get hypomania episodes and not that often so perhaps that's why I have rose-tinted glasses about it.

B

Black Despondency

I would say it's not wrong to like being manic, but becoming manic on purpose is a bad idea. Their can be some negative consequences for being manic. 🧐🙂

rainbowsocks

rainbowsocks

Oh I'm fully aware of my negatives with being manic. I don't actively try to be manic but I wish it happened more often.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Is it wrong to like being manic? I find myself wishing/wanting to be manic because it feels good compared to how I normally feel. The energy, creativity, euphoria, etc give me such a high that I feel depressed when I come back down even though it's just going back to a "normal" mood and not true depression. I only get hypomania episodes and not that often so perhaps that's why I have rose-tinted glasses about it.
Its not wrong to like it. Who doesnt like euphoria and unlimited energy ? Its just that people have very little control and no inhibition in that state and by the time its over often have a lot of damage control to relationships,finances etc. Its not something to wish for.

Zero One

Zero One

I think being manic has an adrenaline rush that can be addictive or can persuade you to like it...but maybe that is too manic. For most of my life my normal has been euphoric but when I thought something went wrong is when I felt this invincible and daring feeling.

I can't think of how to answer your question though.

K

Keesha

No! I don’t think it’s right or wrong to like it.
Most people like being hypo manic. Full out manic usually causes anxiety and irritation after a while so most don’t really like that part of it but the fun highs can be .... FUN! I’m often in a hypomanic state, which makes me talkative, energetic, super creative, super productive etc., The polar opposite of that is depression so most prefer to stay on the high side. Why wouldn’t they?

K

Keesha

I only get hypomania episodes and not that often so perhaps that's why I have rose-tinted glasses about it.
I’ve spent most of my life wearing rose coloured glasses but have learned that I prefer looking through them. Sure it’s not an accurate perception of the world but it actually beats plain reality and when I’m not looking through rose coloured glasses, it usually means I’m depressed. There isn’t too much ‘in between’ area for me. Oddly enough I’ve never heard anyone else mention it but that’s my general state of mind which I actually prefer.
I’m definitely on the euphoric side.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
The energy, creativity, euphoria
This is how I felt during my so called psychosis, unlimited energy, creativeness and euphoria.

My theory is that the gland (Pituitary?) that produces Endorphins (endogenous morphine) was working overtime, I also believe my Pineal Gland was working overtime on producing Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) which is a naturally produced psychoactive chemical.

The Endorphins made it feel like I was on Ecstasy and the DMT made it feel like I was on LSD, quite the combo. While 'high' on these chemicals I started to hear a voice that was not my own and 'he' used my altered state of consciousness to mess with my sense of reality so very easily, this voice also seemed to be able to control the levels of these chemicals at will, he once asked me if I wanted more then began to increase the 'buzz' I was getting, this implies to me that this voice is somehow connected to my Endocrine system (the system that connects all organs and glands) and can manipulate the amounts of chemicals they can produce.

F

Failing Heart

Just like with all symptoms...they are different for everyone. When I know I’m hypo manic, I’ve learned it’s a good idea for me to avoid social situations or professional/social settings bc while it’s fun for me...I end up making a total ass of myself by doing things and saying things that I would never usually say. It hurts my self esteem the next day to realize that while I was having a great time, those around me thought I was acting crazy 😞.
oh the other side of things...
I absolutely love making an insane to do list and knocking it out or working on artwork for hours and hours without getting tired.