• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Writing as DIY therapy?

P

PaulJ

Hi,
when I found myself at my lowest, I started writing about my experiences, and found it helped quite alot, and eventually turned into a writing project (self-help book) which has been quite positive.
I still write now, and although it can be difficult to do so when I am particularly low, it comes around and always seems to serve a purpose.

Does anyone else on here use writing to help yourself make sense of what you are going through?

Paul

miana

miana

I write loads, everyday usually. Especially when im having a particularly bad day, once i start i cant seem to stop.

I find it helps me alot to get it all down in writing.

xx

iffybob

iffybob

6 of one

I dont mind the writting, its the reading it back I cant stomoch .....

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yes I write but I can't stand the reading back either

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I do loads of writing i find it does help but I never read mine back through either it is just something I cannot face doing
Messy x

P

PaulJ

Thanks for the replies guys.
When I started to put my writing together as a project, it took on a different feel. The first time I read it through, it was pretty uncomfortable, but as I went through subsequent re-writes, it became something positive.
It's hard to explain, but it was almost as if with each re-read it could only hurt me less, and that because smaller and smaller each time.

Part of the reason for startign it as a book (aside from someone else's insistence that it was do-able) was that most of the self-help waffle that I have bought, and that means dozens and dozens of different ones, was detached from my reality.
The odd exceptions that I found were incredibly powerful, because they were wtritten by someone who had clearly been there.

Have you guys ever thought about sharing any of your writing, perhaps even on here, with a view to helping other people (and yourselves)?

Paul

J

jamesdean

Its best notto read it back thats why a journalis so fantastic because its like a throw away essay I never read myjournal back though I have given permission for others to do so I almost never read other peoples journals because its a very personal thing really. Such a great way of getting stuff off your mind though always be aware that others might be remmbering its every word n hanging on to its everyword for death. Honestly JD

S

SmileyGirl

I just wanted to add I am reading postcards from the edge by Carrie Fisher. It is the most amazing, hilarious semi-autobiographical book I have ever read!

G

gainsbourg

Yes, writing has helped me overcome depression, heartache and anxiety. The thing to do is just write whatever is in your head. You could start with how you are feeling right now. You can write anything, there are no rules or just do lists. Do whatever you want.

I usually find that my writing is an attempt to rationalise the situation, or draw up plans for solving the situation. It doesn't usually start off as a diary but I find it so therapeutic that I find myself doing nothing else. I write in the train, in cafes, at home...it can be like a drug, a lifeline.

Even when I have been in so much unbearable mental pain, feeling suicidal, bitter, hurting so much I am interested in nothing...I still find it comforting to write about my pain or situation. Sometimes it is embracing the pain. Sometimes it is a hopeful plan of how I can make things work out. Sometimes it is about convincing myself of something I wish I believed...like a certain person being no good for me. Sometimes it is an appeal to the part of me that is strong, philosophical and can take reaaly bad knocks or setbacks.

Sometimes you need to walk right towards the eye of the storm, because in the very middle, there is always a place of calm.

However bad things get you can still look up at the gods that have brought you misfortune and instead of waving your fists at the sky, you can look upwards with a sardonic smile and shrug as if life is just a board game that they are controlling, as if to say...

"Well, at least it can't get any worse!"

gainsbourg