• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

WOW wake up call

F

faery

The voices are always there, lately they have been in the back ground, barely audible. I have been coping well because of this. I usually go through my day not worried about whats being said and focused on the here and now, what I am doing, whether at school or working or just hanging out with the kids. Last night as I was trying to fall asleep, one particular all so familiar bitchy, loud female voice, started to degrade me and my heart almost sank, I thought to myself here I go again, this could be bad. I decided right then and there I have to actively take control of the situation and I did. I really thought to myself I don't care what's being said I am not going to listen to it, and actively engaged my mind in thoughts about my day, about what I have to do in the morning, about how tired I am and how nice sleep would be, and before I knew it I was in dreamland, and today is ok not paying attention to the voices and at school with a good attitude. The split second before I made the conscious decision that I really didn't care what was being said and focused on my own thoughts, which was an active process, takes a little work but well worth it, but the split second before that, I tried to hear exactly what she was saying and she "the voice came in loud and clear" Voices loud and clear are not what I am wanting to focus on, especially mean, bitchy, unreasonable ones like that. I realize that engaging my mind and being able to concentrate on what I decide to concentrate on isn't always easy and it does take work, but it seems to be worth it, it takes practice and I got a ways to go, but looks like I am on my way.

R

rabina

Faery,

All that you have described in your post from making a conscious decision about not caring what the voices said to actively taking control of your thoughts, life and the situation is remarkable and has proved to be successful for you in defeating the voices and instead focus on your own life. I am very very happy for you and you will continue on this road I am sure. Excellent strategies for dealing with the voices and you're on the right road for sure...This should help many others also.
Important to remember is that it does take time, practice and effort, but it can be done because you did do it and so can others.
Excellent work Faery.

rabina

S

SuperZ

Faery,

Keep the Television or a radio playing 24/7, something smooth and Jazzy. It helps a lot, keeps them distracted, keeps them muffled to where they just give up, don't even try. I also think that the TV-Radio makes it harder for them to plan & collude together (gang).

Also, dont forget the Voices Coping Strategies Poster. Just search this forum or google for the link.

Great that your life is still very positive and moving forward...

Warm Regards (support),
z

F

faery

Thank u Rabina and Z, During different times different coping mechanisms seem to work, when I drive, as I do all day long from patient to patient, I like to use the radio sometimes. I just recently quit smoking cigarettes, don't know if that will last, but gonna try. I notice though at times that my addiction to the cigarettes is bringing out a very immature attutide, or just bad attitude out of me, trying to build my will power, I tell you one thing, trying to be self disciplined, and really able to concentrate, is one of the, if not the hardest thing I have really tried to do. It actually takes work, and sometimes my immaturity brings me to think damn it, sometimes I just wish I wasn't conscious of bullshit, and just go on and let my mind wander and go go go on what ever when ever, but then I stop and think, "you know you don't really feel that way," I am learning and growing and connecting, and seeing connections where I could never even imagine connections before, and that's what it's about for me atleast to learn and grow, and be connected.