• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Would you trade your illness for a normal life?

A

Affective

Hi. This may come across as a strange question. However while I was watching Stephen Fry's Manic-Depression programme, he was asked would he ever want to live a 'normal life' instead of being Bipolar and he said he wouldn't.

Do you feel you would be better off without some of the feelings, sensations and experiences you have had with your illness?

A

AussieGirl

Thats a good question, I guess it's what makes me - me and I do have some great ideas when I'm manic. Dealing with it too has made me alot stronger...

S

skyblue

Hi. This may come across as a strange question. However while I was watching Stephen Fry's Manic-Depression programme, he was asked would he ever want to live a 'normal life' instead of being Bipolar and he said he wouldn't.

Do you feel you would be better off without some of the feelings, sensations and experiences you have had with your illness?
Lucky for Stephen Fry - He suffers with Bipolar 2 and doesn't necessarily need medication. Infact he doesn't take medication for it. I understand that he doesn't suffer with the auditory and visionary hallucinations, neither with the delusions.

I have Bipolar 1 and Rapid Cycle - This prevents me from functioning properly. I hate this illness and would most definately swap it for a 'Normal Life' or even Bipolar 2 for that matter.
With this illness, I suffer with the highs and lows, but also become delusional and experience auditory and visionary hallucinations.

I HATE this illness !!! It doesn't get me anywhere in life.

Last edited:
M

mad as a hatter

skyblue

i get the same symptoms as u and agree with u it,s a horrid illness and i wouldn,t wish it on ne 1 it,s ruined my life i wish i could live without meds i also have 2 live with voices 2 not nice stephen fry must be 1 the lucky one,s

S

skyblue

skyblue

i get the same symptoms as u and agree with u it,s a horrid illness and i wouldn,t wish it on ne 1 it,s ruined my life i wish i could live without meds i also have 2 live with voices 2 not nice stephen fry must be 1 the lucky one,s

Infact he is one of the lucky ones Hatter, because I have seen this documentary before and he suffers with Bipolar 2 which isn't as severe.

In the documentary he talks with people who do suffer with Bipolar 1, and that these people suffer in a bad way. He knows how lucky he is not to have to go through what these other people do, and have to take these medications in order to function in everyday life, and that unfortunately in some cases the medications don't necessarily work.

Last edited:
M

mad as a hatter

skyblue

makes me wonder about him cause he must suffer at times cause his symptoms aren,t controlled by meds and yeah the meds don,t always work i know that with mine but they refuse 2 change them so i,m stuck it,s a nitemare

S

skyblue

skyblue

makes me wonder about him cause he must suffer at times cause his symptoms aren,t controlled by meds and yeah the meds don,t always work i know that with mine but they refuse 2 change them so i,m stuck it,s a nitemare

He may well be much better now than he was, since his breakdown when he was first diagnosed. He was diagnosed when he was 37, not sure how old he is now, but I do remember when he had his breakdown, it was all over the papers, news etc, he went missing. He was found on a ferry escaping over to France. Glad he was found safely.

Last edited:
A

Affective

He may well be much better now than he was, since his breakdown when he was first diagnosed. He was diagnosed when he was 37, not sure how old he is now, but I do remember when he had his breakdown, it was all over the papers, news etc, he went missing. He was found on a ferry escaping over to France. Glad he was found safely.
He said he took a big cocktail of tablets to end his life.

T

triple x

yes and no

i like being bi polar then again sometimes i hate it. my art/poetry wouldnt be strong without it. then th times i end up in hospital i dont like. so i really dont ken.

T

Twylight

I've been schitzo for 25 years and it's part of me now

I just wish Joe Public were more respectful about what we all have to go through

M

mad as a hatter

respect even on here u get treate dlike shit so what,s the chance off joe public bein respectful there,s no hope

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've had this illness for 30yrs even if it was to burn out, it'd take an unfortunate time to burn out, now benefits are only been aimed at the most needy and me having a long out of work history due to the illness

Though yes i wish i'd never had it bit late for that, humpty dumptys falllen off the wall

S

skyblue

He said he took a big cocktail of tablets to end his life.
He tried to take an overdose when he was 17yrs old and vomited them back up. When he was 37, he contemplated going into the garage and planned his suicide with car/exhaust and hosepipe, but decided not to and went missing, he was found on a ferry on his way to France.

Last edited:
M

mad as a hatter

he seems 2 have recovered quite well from that episode i think he puts a lot into his work seems 2 help him at times

S

skyblue

he seems 2 have recovered quite well from that episode i think he puts a lot into his work seems 2 help him at times
Yep definately, I think it does help him now, he manages it very well.

I think he's great to listen to, really interesting, intelligent person and a really nice guy.