• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Would you personally work with a MH professional if you know they have lived experiences of schizophrenia/psychotic disorders?

E

emmaleemochizuki

I'm just interested. I'm currently studying and pursuing a career in MH.

I question myself all the time if I'll ever be mentally fit enough to handle that kind of job.

I'm ok when I am stable, but I'm also aware of potential criticism and judgement if people know my background.

I do think though it helps me to understand others on a deeper level as I have been there myself. So I am not just learning things from books, but also real life personal experiences.

Northern Girl

Northern Girl

I would be happy to have a Psychiatrist with lived experience. They may be better at understanding my struggles rather than one who has no lived experience and only knows what is in a text book or what they have observed/heard from their patients.

E

emmaleemochizuki

I would be happy to have a Psychiatrist with lived experience. They may be better at understanding my struggles rather than one who has no lived experience and only knows what is in a text book or what they have observed/heard from their patients.
That's very true. There's only a surface level of insight by observing whereas we have a much deeper level of insight by living with it. I think it is also understanding some of the things we experience that may not seem totally logical to others but it is to us. I think with all MH professionals, especially psychiatrists we need some sort of a middle ground with them. They don't seem to get that though, they are satisfied as long as you are medicated...

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

This is a strange question. It would never be asked of any other type of care. “Would you see a physician if you knew he saw a physician for his own care?” Seems bizarre.

Everyone has a mental health status. I would be more inclined to avoid a mental health professional who avoided mental self care themselves.

Just my two cents.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Yes absolutely. So many mental health practitioners have only read about psychiatric experiences in books and have no lived experience to speak from. Because they cannot see their patients or clients as peers they talk down to them and treat them less than. I would love to work with a mental health practitioner who has lived experience. There is an authenticity there and an empathy that really counts. xo, j

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I gotta give a yes/no answer for this one. At this point in my life I kinda seek out others like me. I don’t think I could trust a perfectly adjusted therapist. I need my therapist to have walked in my shoes a little. I’m not going to listen to someone tell me something I don’t want to hear if you don’t have even a little first hand knowledge of what its like to be me. But… several times I would show up to therapy and she would be rattled by the pervious person. She would need to complain about it to me 10 minutes before we get started. I always tried to cut her some slack for it. She is a person too. I guess what I’m trying to say is sometimes her poor mental health needed to be center stage. But there were times where I was in such bad shape that I really just needed that time to be about me. Thats a whole week I gotta wait before I can have the conversation I was waiting to have today. I would choose the struggling therapist. You are allowed to have pain.

Nate

Nate

I'm just interested. I'm currently studying and pursuing a career in MH.

I question myself all the time if I'll ever be mentally fit enough to handle that kind of job.

I'm ok when I am stable, but I'm also aware of potential criticism and judgement if people know my background.

I do think though it helps me to understand others on a deeper level as I have been there myself. So I am not just learning things from books, but also real life personal experiences.
I would rather see someone like you who knew what I was going through, than with someone who didn't have a clue. It's like being able to help a alcoholic, if you are also a alcoholic you will be able to help that person better because you know what he's going through. I say porsue mental health. Good luck 🍀🤞

Passionflower

Passionflower

I have had two CPN's in the past who suffered from depression and bipolar respectively and while they were very good at understanding my problems (schiz), they were always taking time off. These were for long periods of time and always ended in them being replaced by other cpn's. Sooo there are good points and bad points to someone with lived experience.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

I suppose ideally you want someone who has had the same problems, but has managed to overcome them or found a good way to cope with them.

I'm not sure though, there seem to be pitfalls on all sides. You don't want someone who is currently negatively affected by the very condition you are trying to get help with, nor do you want someone who has no clue what you are going through...but it could also be tiresome having someone who found _their_ way of coping and now insists you should do exactly the same thing they do, or considers that you are a failure because you can't cope as well as they can.

B

BoutonLune

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Of course I would 🙂

C

celticlass

I think if you want to be an empathetic MH professional that is what you will be. I had quite a number of lengthy absences during my working life and each time it was harder to come back. I know this impacted on some of the people I was supposed to be working with. I reckon at the time I just took it as my 'right's to be off on sick leave as and when. Not sure I see it that way now. The field of mental health though has to be more effective when service users get the sense someone genuinely understands the issues that go along with different mental illnesses.