• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Would it be the right thing to do?

M

mrsdoubtfire

I have been having problems with my 34 year old son. Confusion, talking to himself, repetitive behavior which I outlined in 'introduce yourself'. He is thinking of going out tonight butn the last time he went out where we live (about 18 months ago) he punched a guy in the face, for what? we are not sure, said he had been talking about him. Do I get him to go somewhere else, he has already said if the same guy is around, he'll do it again. I know he needs help but I can't force him to do anything. He has been in the house, his room, for the last 2 weeks. I feel that if he does go out local I should tell him I will call the police if anything happens, would I make things worse? Maybe if I explained the consequences, he could be arrested and worse than that jailed. It has been like living with a time bomb, any advice?

S

saffron

He is 34 not 14 and should understand the consequences by now, and so calling the police will not help either, there is obviously an underlying cause for his distress and behaviour. Also you cannot force him to see a doctor but if you are that worried you could talk to your doctor in relation to getting him sectioned, In know it is a hard decision for anyone to make but sometimes it is for his own good in the long run. I can only go by what you have told us but I think in your shoes (I have a 20 year old son) I would do that for his own safety if nothing else. but please talk to your doctor to get their advice on how best you can help your son.
Sorry it is such a late answer but only just found the thread.
take care and best wishes
S

C

Claire

I have been having problems with my 34 year old son. Confusion, talking to himself, repetitive behavior which I outlined in 'introduce yourself'. He is thinking of going out tonight butn the last time he went out where we live (about 18 months ago) he punched a guy in the face, for what? we are not sure, said he had been talking about him. Do I get him to go somewhere else, he has already said if the same guy is around, he'll do it again. I know he needs help but I can't force him to do anything. He has been in the house, his room, for the last 2 weeks. I feel that if he does go out local I should tell him I will call the police if anything happens, would I make things worse? Maybe if I explained the consequences, he could be arrested and worse than that jailed. It has been like living with a time bomb, any advice?
Has he always been like this? I think you should talk to him and really encourage him to see a doctor or a psychiatrist. If he doesn't go with you to the doctor... I think what another person already said - you should see the doctor on your own and find out what you can do.
He could get arrested anyway that's true, and in a way it might be a wake up call to him to get help... It depends what he does, but if its another punch then probably as he has mental health problems they wouldn't jail him - they'd send him to hospital. I hope that you can get help for him - he does sound at risk. I'm sorry about your difficult situation.