• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Would appreciate input on terrible dreams and sleep paralysis with seroquel

J

JoeNyc33

Would appreciate input on terrible dreams and sleep paralysis with seroquel

Hello. I am Joe. I am33 and have had a multitude of mental issues for around 19 years. I have severe depression,social and general anxiety,ocd, and insomnia. I have been on more drugs than I can count to combat these issues. I have also been addicted to opiates for 7 years. I am now two weeks off of the opiates. Sleep has always been an issue for me. I've always had severe trouble falling asleep and upon waking, recollections of such severe nightmares it would usually take me at least an hour to stabilize via vyvance. For the past two nights I have taken 100mgs of seroquel to sleep. I have taken this in the past and never had a good reaction to it but it did put me to sleep. Now though I am suffering through much more intense very bad dreams and new to me, awareness I am in the dream and not being able to move or wake myself up from the dreams. I was finally able to but it took all of my effort and a lot of time. These were extremely bad and scary dreams, the likes I've never had before. I know I need sleep for my body to recover but I can't get past the dreams. If anyone has any similar situation or suggestions on other medications I'd very much appreciate it. Ambien does not work on me even at a very high dose and neither does trazadone, which also causes bad dreams for me. Thank you for your time in reading this.

L

lovagemuffin

hi you've been on opiates for seven years and your 2 weeks off them?
its going to be harder to sleep off of them maybe you don't need any more drugs?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Well done for being off the opiates for 2 weeks. That's a really good achievement.

The only thing that has helped me in the past is mirtazpine, but it did too good a job and i'd wake up feeling hungover.

I can empathise with you though, i'm a long term insomniac and suffer trauma-related nightmares. It's not nice.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I've had terrible problems with nightmares in the past so I know how awful it can be. I've always just put mine down to an over-active imagination.

Has it been worse since withdrawing from the opiates? (great to hear that you've been two weeks free). It's possible that med withdrawal is responsible.

If you think there's a chance that the Seroquel is causing the nightmares (which is very common) you need to talk to your prescriber about it. Perhaps 100mg is too high for you or maybe you need to try something else altogether, perhaps therapy or relaxation techniques?

I hope the nightmares don't continue for too long.

By the way, the dreaming awareness you mentioned; I would imagine that it's a form of lucid dreaming and can be controlled over time. It's quite interesting.