• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Worst drug you've ever been on?

M

Mastiff mom

Mine was a new drug n the market caked Saphris. I already have low blood pressure but this stuff made me feel I was dying. I slid down to the ground and inched to the phone to call my husband to come home. The most disturbing aspect was that I started sleep walking. Needless to say I went off this ASAP.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Amisulpride by a country mile was the worst drug I have ever been on. I was already psychotic and then after taking it I had so much anxiety I was terrified of my own shadow. I am not an emotional person normally but it made me cry at the drop of a hat. Would never touch it again.

A

act044

Lithium. I've gained a good 10 pounds so far and it keeps on coming. I have a fear of getting fat and nothing I do maintains my weight I keep gaining. I'm going to ask my pdoc to change meds.

N

Nicola398

Amisulpride by a country mile was the worst drug I have ever been on. I was already psychotic and then after taking it I had so much anxiety I was terrified of my own shadow. I am not an emotional person normally but it made me cry at the drop of a hat. Would never touch it again.
See don't understand that, it is the only drug helped and didn't cause side effects or serious problems.It has affected my menstrual cycle but that hasn't worried me that my periods stopped cos didn't plan on having kids.It didn't make me sensitive or afraid, it damped down my emotions a bit but compared to other drugs which causes serious side effect it has been ok.If I had a choice I'd be off the drugs completely though.

Worse drug ever flupenthixol, made me have severe akathisia, catatonic, racing thoughts, deep depression, crying all the time , angry, agitated,and all what they call negative symptoms, not wanting to interact with people, lack of motivation, wanting to sleep all the time.I wouldn't ever take it again either!

These links may be helpful.

Making sense of Antipsychotics

Last edited:
Passionflower

Passionflower

See don't understand that, it is the only drug helped and didn't cause sde effects or serious problems.It has affected my menstrual cycle but that hasn't worried me that my periods stopped cos didn't plan on having kids.It didn't make me sensitive or afraid, it damped down my emotions a bit but compared to other drugs which causes serious side effect it has been ok.If I had a choice I'd be off the drugs completely though.

It didn't make me sensitive as such because I was crying without anything causing it, just crying for no reason which was weird. I do find that the typical antipsychotics suit me better than the atypicals as all of the new ones don't touch the psychosis, yet stelazine and haloperidol work for me.

Frost

Frost

I'll ignore the fact that sertraline literally made me bleed from my eyeballs, and say aripiprazole. No emotions, no connection to the world, total apathy.... I ended up just throwing it away and telling the shrink later.

apple

apple

It's so long ago now that I had my first antipsychotic but I think it might have been Clorazil - which gave me restlessness, dribbling and made me feel like a zombie so that I was then prescribed procyclidine - what a joke! All of the antipsychotics I've been given have been crappy - but I'm majorly pissed off because of having diabetes due to them and the fact that as my brain wasn't working properly, I'm only really now understanding and coming to terms with the fact that they've damaged my pancreas and have been causing memory issues and wrecked the way I look.

I just can't fathom the fact that so many psychiatrists prescribe them so easily and yet don't know how to get you off them and also justify the side-effects as the lesser of two evils. If I had my time over I'd rather have a time of insanity believing that in time my brain might heal eventually of its own accord, especially if I was giving some good nutrition and was in a reasonably caring environment. So many times I look back and think that if only someone had reassured me emotionally, it would have helped a great deal because I think that a lot of mental illness is connected with repressed emotions and events which caused problems - certainly in my case.

Grape

Grape

Nicola be careful with the no periods thing as my Dr said risk of osteoporosis.

Worst drugs are the ones that gave me akathisia so flupenthixol and aripiprazole.

V

Viktoria

Akathisia on aripiprazole was horrible, but sertraline made me have full blown panic attacks which I'd never had before, I was even taken to hospital and spent a night there as a result (could've been avoided if I'd known what the hell was going on but the ambulance took me anyway)

N

Nicola398

Nicola be careful with the no periods thing as my Dr said risk of osteoporosis.

Worst drugs are the ones that gave me akathisia so flupenthixol and aripiprazole.
I know about the risk of osteoporosis Grape, thanks for the warning though.it has only been 3 years since they stopped, I've been on amisulpride six years.I am starting the menopause now too as I am 50 years old now.I can't come off the amisulprde, every time I try I go into psychosis, then I can come off it if I go three weeks cold turkey and have the psychosis, but they always section me and force me to take it again.So it is a vicious circle and I am trapped taking it or else withdrawals make me very ill.Read the other day also anti-psychotics can put us at risk of glaucoma attack which that means you can go blind very quickly so that is a worry too but I got no choice but to take them grape,I wish I could just stop them.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Worse one for me was respiridone without a doubt, it made me totally numb and dumbed down but still didn;t stop the voices. I felt like I could have been run over and never felt a thing.

KS

M

Mastiff mom

Apple. I relate to you so much-- the horrid weight gain, the diabetes and hypothyroid from Lithium. grrrrrrrr.