• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Worsening of ocd 'pure o'

J

JSD

I have what I would say is ‘Pure O’ since I was a child 50 something years , Since having medication changed it seems to be different in the way of becoming more severe. I just get on top of one obsessive thought by desensitising to it by following advice in a self -help book , but it quickly gets replaced by another intrusive thought/image which gets obsessive.

I find I am constantly having to picture /imagine the horrible thoughts , just so I can say to myself that I would never do that and never want to, I then feel better for a little while but the pictures and scenarios are horrible and distressing , Im getting really upset about needing to do this, Has anyone else had this happen to them and has anyone got any advice how to stop. thank you

jajingna

jajingna

Obsessive thinking is not fun at all, but I have no idea what to do about it. I just try to get enough sleep and do regular healthy-minded things like eating proper foods and getting a walk. This helps reduce stress and anxiety so that the thoughts are not as bothersome.

Pedr

Pedr

I have what I would say is ‘Pure O’ since I was a child 50 something years , Since having medication changed it seems to be different in the way of becoming more severe. I just get on top of one obsessive thought by desensitising to it by following advice in a self -help book , but it quickly gets replaced by another intrusive thought/image which gets obsessive.

I find I am constantly having to picture /imagine the horrible thoughts , just so I can say to myself that I would never do that and never want to, I then feel better for a little while but the pictures and scenarios are horrible and distressing , Im getting really upset about needing to do this, Has anyone else had this happen to them and has anyone got any advice how to stop. thank you
Hi JSD, I can completely empathize. The one tactic that has given me some relief was getting Exposure Therapy. It managed to tone down some of my obsessive visions about suddenly committing suicide (even though I had no intent).

HTH, Pete

B

BlueWater

I do some of my own exposures to ease my compulsions.

My OCD is both health and relationship centered. When they overlap, then my brain goes into overdrive. I've been in talk therapy since July of last year to help me manage relationships better and see my OCD better. Since January, I've been on a mood stabilizer; it slows my reactions to stressful situations, evens my moods unless I have bad PMS and makes me easier to live with. Just this morning, I started a bottle of Lexapro to see if it will ease my rumination and constant worrying about uncertainty.

M

morty2

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am diagnosed OCD,,,whats pure O?????....

I know the other day i had a thought pop into my head and it was horrid,some horror scene,i dont know where they come from but this happens now and then. It can be totally random,,i dont know why i do this. Therapy said its normal and everyone does it but i dont think so somehow!!!!. I think thats wrong!.

B

BlueWater

I am diagnosed OCD,,,whats pure O?????....

I know the other day i had a thought pop into my head and it was horrid,some horror scene,i dont know where they come from but this happens now and then. It can be totally random,,i dont know why i do this. Therapy said its normal and everyone does it but i dont think so somehow!!!!. I think thats wrong!.
Everyone does do this but for OCDers we can't let those thoughts go. We ruminate and assume we must be bad people. We're too hard on ourselves.

I think Pure O means you ruminate to no end. You don't engage in checking the doors, washing your hands or taking showers excessively, counting your number of pills left, driving back to make sure you didn't hit someone, etc. I find it hard to believe that someone with Pure O doesn't have at least one compulsion, but I could be wrong. If you do begin to alleviate in distractions to ignore your thoughts, then anxiety begins its vicious loop and you're stuck doing compulsions.

jajingna

jajingna

I've had the Pure O sort, off and on for many years, began around 30 years ago, no accompanying compulsions.

Pedr

Pedr

I was taught that pure O means that we do not perform physical compulsions but that we instead run through compulsive fear-easing sequences of thoughts.

Pete

J

JSD

I was taught that pure O means that we do not perform physical compulsions but that we instead run through compulsive fear-easing sequences of thoughts.

Pete That is exactly what I do , because then I feel that reassurance we all crave.

J

JSD

Obsessive thinking is not fun at all, but I have no idea what to do about it. I just try to get enough sleep and do regular healthy-minded things like eating proper foods and getting a walk. This helps reduce stress and anxiety so that the thoughts are not as bothersome.
I have just started eating healthily, and taking more exercise,, but never sleep more than 4-5 hours a night so maybe I need to do all those things. thank you for replying.

J

JSD

Everyone does do this but for OCDers we can't let those thoughts go. We ruminate and assume we must be bad people. We're too hard on ourselves.

I think Pure O means you ruminate to no end. You don't engage in checking the doors, washing your hands or taking showers excessively, counting your number of pills left, driving back to make sure you didn't hit someone, etc. I find it hard to believe that someone with Pure O doesn't have at least one compulsion, but I could be wrong. If you do begin to alleviate in distractions to ignore your thoughts, then anxiety begins its vicious loop and you're stuck doing compulsions.
Thank you, what you have described here is exactly how I am.

S

Seyed

I think I have pure O please help I am always concerned of having a wrong feeling so out of a fear I keep checking and manipulating (even inducing) feelings in myself. I also deep feeling of guilt. Please help I am getting very mad if my self I fell I am a hypocrite and have suicide intentions.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm sorry for what you're going through @Seyed, just remember many thoughts will go through your head each day but they don't have to define us, only our actions define us.

Help for suicidal thoughts

If you're feeling like you want to die, it's important to tell someone.

Help and support is available right now if you need it. You do not have to struggle with difficult feelings alone.

Phone a helpline

These free helplines are there to help when you're feeling down or desperate.

You can also call these helplines for advice if you’re worried about someone else.

In the UK and Ireland, call the Samaritans on 116123.
In the US, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline ion 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, call the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, call Lifeline on 131114.
In New Zealand, call Need to Talk on 1737 or 080017371737.
For other countries please visit this list of crisis helplines.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can also call one of the above helplines.

Emergency help

If you are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111 or call the international emergency number of 112).