• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worrying my garden is ruined

P

Phil10

Somebody brought this bin into my front garden right next to my front door my fear now is my garden is contaminated and nothing can touch the ground? I was already worried about the ground outside now it’s worse. I now want to move house my fear is the bin contaminated a toilet plunger so my fear is everything is contaminated forever?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I can only reassure you that its unlikely that everything is contaminated. But I know that won't be enough for you to feel safe. Have you ever had any form of therapy for your problems?

P

Phil10

I can only reassure you that its unlikely that everything is contaminated. But I know that won't be enough for you to feel safe. Have you ever had any form of therapy for your problems?
Yes I did ten seasons of cbt privately over the past year. I stopped it last year though as I am on a waiting list for some via the nhs which won’t cost me.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I hope it works out for you. You need help with these thoughts. I can say till I'm blue in the face that your garden is fine but you won't necessarily believe me! Did you find the techniques for handling these kind of thoughts helpful from CBT?

P

Phil10

I hope it works out for you. You need help with these thoughts. I can say till I'm blue in the face that your garden is fine but you won't necessarily believe me! Did you find the techniques for handling these kind of thoughts helpful from CBT?
Not really it helps to talk about it but stuff like exposure therapy to touch the dirty ground would freak me out?all I can see is toilet plunger germs on the ground

calypso

calypso

Admin
But a garden is full of germs by definition so the soil creatures like bacteria and worms will cleanse it naturally of anything that comes into contact with them. I really think you don't need to worry.

P

Phil10

It’s a shame I feel disgust with my garden now too. I have tried to battle this bin issue but the garden feels tainted and I don’t like it anymore. I can’t bear touching the ground as I enter my house I just feel sadness now about the garden. This is how it makes me feel. I struggle to see how I can change this?

M

MinnieMoo

When you’ve worried about things before, what helped the feelings go away? How long did it take, and can you look back now and see that those worries were unrealistic? If so I’m sure it will be the same with this?
I expect even if you moved house your worries would shift to something else in time so maybe you could find a way to live alongside these thoughts even if you can’t get rid of them completely.

P

Phil10

When you’ve worried about things before, what helped the feelings go away? How long did it take, and can you look back now and see that those worries were unrealistic? If so I’m sure it will be the same with this?
I expect even if you moved house your worries would shift to something else in time so maybe you could find a way to live alongside these thoughts even if you can’t get rid of them completely.
Generally once I believe something is forever contaminated I wont touch it. This ranges from blind chords to door handles to windows whatever it is I worry about. My only escape is to move house or replace them item. I try and tell myself the plunger which was in the bin was protected by plastic at the bottom it wasn’t direct but that doesn’t reassure me much. It seems mad as if it was the plunger direct that touched it well..now I seen neighbours get new toilets and the old one is thrown outside on the stones or garden this would also freak me out just as much due to the toilet water

M

MinnieMoo

Do you own the house? If not then you could look to see what other places are out there to rent. Find somewhere very clean and nice, don’t rush into it.

If you do own it could you get the soil tested for contamination, or lay concrete or something?

It sounds quite challenging for you at the moment, can you speak to your old therapist for a short while till the nhs sessions start?

P

Phil10

Do you own the house? If not then you could look to see what other places are out there to rent. Find somewhere very clean and nice, don’t rush into it.

If you do own it could you get the soil tested for contamination, or lay concrete or something?

It sounds quite challenging for you at the moment, can you speak to your old therapist for a short while till the nhs sessions start?
I own it so it’s harder to move. I moved with my last house as I got new windows put in and he touched my wash basket so I worried they were dirty and would wash my hands after touching them it got quite bad. I felt disgusted with the house and now I feel the same about the wheelie bin issue. And yes u could talk to the old therapist but was hoping to try and hold off as nhs one is free.

M

MinnieMoo

This is having quite a major disruption on your life. Have you told your GP all of this? Keep chasing up your counselling. Good luck.