• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worrying me ....

Unique1

Unique1

I really don't like anti depressants, have a real fear of certain things about them. I've recently told my dr I have only been taking one of the anti depressants every other day for the past month rather than every day. Although I still suffer with depression and bad anxiety, just don't think they are doing much good.a stronger med has been suggested by phsych on a trial basis (still thinking about that) Dr was ok about it.

I am in receipt of PIP and ESA and have started stressing myself out now about how they would assess me because of this...not due for a medical assessment for some time yet as only recently had one, but I'm getting really anxious about it all, the anxiety won't go away...keep ruminating about the problems it could cause me at my next assessment...it's exhausting and making me panic a lot....

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

Hi Unique1

There are many alternatives to medication, as well as different types of pills and if you feel the anti-depressants are not doing the job it seems sensible to recognise that, as you have, and try new strategies.

Personally I believe that medication alone is not enough to support someone.

Regarding ESA and PIP, I can understand why you feel stressed, but people on the forum can direct you towards help and support, to maximise your chances of a successful application, you are not alone. :hug1:

Gajolene

Gajolene

Is it possible they aren't doing much good because you havn't been taking them as prescribed by your doctor? Playing around with dosages isn't going to help in the long run.

That being said in the beggining with me I quit the antidepressants a lot, and kept trying to slug along without any help. For me the situation only got worse till I finally did find the right one that worked for me and did have to admitt to myself I needed counselling help as well.

My own fears about the anti depressants probably held me back in recovery more than 7 years and made things worse. Eventually I did find the right doctor and the right medication for me and swore not to drink/use while on them and to keep to my dosages. That's when things started to get better for me. But then that's just my experience with them. I do cope better with the anxieties now with a huge amount psychotheriputical coping tools I was taught but know if it gets bad enough and I cease functioning that I can go back on and feel real benefits from it.:hug:

Unique1

Unique1

Hi Unique1

There are many alternatives to medication, as well as different types of pills and if you feel the anti-depressants are not doing the job it seems sensible to recognise that, as you have, and try new strategies.

Personally I believe that medication alone is not enough to support someone.

Regarding ESA and PIP, I can understand why you feel stressed, but people on the forum can direct you towards help and support, to maximise your chances of a successful application, you are not alone. :hug1:
Thank you wise owl, really appreciate the response right now.
I do actively try to help myself I've been to CBT and mindfulness and I'm on waiting list for sessions with a phsychologist,

The benefit system is just so scarey, I've not been out of work before and I have real fears of it all, mostly fears around doing something wrong. You are right there are people on the forum who have lots of different experiences it's such a blessing to have this forum to come to. I am aware that for benefits assessments they seem to place a hell of a lot of credence on what meds you take...but conscious I don't want that system to dictate my rights on the taking of meds..
Thanks so much, maybe someone will notice my thread who has experienced something similar and what they said...x

Unique1

Unique1

Is it possible they aren't doing much good because you havn't been taking them as prescribed by your doctor? Playing around with dosages isn't going to help in the long run.

That being said in the beggining with me I quit the antidepressants a lot, and kept trying to slug along without any help. For me the situation only got worse till I finally did find the right one that worked for me and did have to admitt to myself I needed counselling help as well.

My own fears about the anti depressants probably held me back in recovery more than 7 years and made things worse. Eventually I did find the right doctor and the right medication for me and swore not to drink/use while on them and to keep to my dosages. That's when things started to get better for me. But then that's just my experience with them. I do cope better with the anxieties now with a huge amount psychotheriputical coping tools I was taught but know if it gets bad enough and I cease functioning that I can go back on and feel real benefits from it.:hug:

Hi Gajolene.

Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.
I have been taking meds as prescribed up until a month ago. Been on them over a year. It was suggested to me by phsychologist perhaps this particular med not doing any good. It was then I decided to try one every other day. I would rather concentrate on ither routes at present to improve myself especially as it seems they may not be having a great affect. My plan is to speak to phsychologist about it once my sessions commence and make some decisions then..I'm panicking over the system here in UK and how it works, to entitle you to benefits..
Hope today has been a good day for you x

Gajolene

Gajolene

Be carefull of what the government rep is asking definately, I had my job very adversely effected by the demands of company nurses, social services reps and such because what I told them that they didn't have the right to ask, and that additional information I gave them was used against me. Best to ask your doctor what they have a right to ask and don't have a right to ask. Often a doctor's note can be as small as, patient is off for personal reasons and is recieving ongoing treatment which limits or makes work not possible at this time. That information is all they are within their rights to know and you can't be refused benefits for it. (That's the way it works here in Canada anyway)Keep all your medical records as well, no matter how small the communication concerning your condition.

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I myself am on benefits and I have found that if you can get someone to write a letter outlining your issues and needs (Doctor, family member, MH professional, support worker, CPN, care-coordinator etc.), put in any appointment letters and/or assessments and write a detailed account of how you MH affects your daily life this all works in your favour. :hug1:

Personally I find the Benefit and Work guides useful.
Home

I have known people not on medication but who are taking part in other types of support, be awarded ESA/PIP.

I think the most important thing is to keep in contact with your doctor and any MH professionals, so you are still visibly active in the NHS healthcare system, or if you go private keep receipts of any paid therapy/counselling and put down your practitioners details.

Unique1

Unique1

Thank you wise owl.
The link is really useful, I have subscribed !
I agree about keeping in touch with health professionals etc.
Thanks x

Unique1

Unique1

Be carefull of what the government rep is asking definately, I had my job very adversely effected by the demands of company nurses, social services reps and such because what I told them that they didn't have the right to ask, and that additional information I gave them was used against me. Best to ask your doctor what they have a right to ask and don't have a right to ask. Often a doctor's note can be as small as, patient is off for personal reasons and is recieving ongoing treatment which limits or makes work not possible at this time. That information is all they are within their rights to know and you can't be refused benefits for it. (That's the way it works here in Canada anyway)Keep all your medical records as well, no matter how small the communication concerning your condition.
Thank you, yes I understand, thanks for the advice. X :)

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Sorry this is playing on your mind so much Unique1, it's horrible and unfair that the benefits system has so many people fearing whether their symptoms and difficulties will be taken seriously, and whether they will be believed about being unable to work or engage in work-related activity.

I've been on numerous anti-depressants over a period of twenty years (triclcyclics, SSRIs, NSRIs), as well as mood stabilisers and anti-psychotics. It has taken me this long to reconcile myself to the evidence that they have not worked for me and that other methods (therapy mainly, plus self-help) are more effective for me. It has been very hard to reach this conclusion when every GP, psychiatrist, CPN has wanted me to take medication. It has been very hard to stand against the system and believe my own judgement, and many times I have been persuaded that they must know best, and I've given medication yet another try. Its been soul-destroying at times. It's such a conflict taking something when you have deep doubts about it's helpfulness, and in my case I have often ended up feeling defective and responsible for not feeling any benefit from it (or at times feeling worse from it). I have doubted my judgement so much. So many times I've heard the line 'maybe you just haven't found the drug that will work for you yet'. And everyone has looked sceptical when I say they just don't work for me, the public belief in the universal effectiveness of anti-depressants is very strong, as well as the medical profession's. But research does not support the idea that they work for everyone, but this gets swept under the carpet. I think it's been about three years now that I haven't been taking anything, and (not wanting to tempt fate) things are slowly and steadily improving.

Anyway, just thought I'd requote my previous reply on this. We shouldn't have to take medication we don't want to and don't find helps in order to be taken seriously, and qualify for help when unable to work.

I thought it might help to know that I have stated on benefit applications that I'm not currently on any medication, and the reasons why, and I have still been awarded benefits, I think that was the case for my last two renewals. So I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, but yes I've been worried that not being on medication will mean my symptoms are taken less seriously, but that doesn't appear to have happened :peace:

Unique1

Unique1

Thank you so much for your response Aliceinwonderland. It really is appreciated.

It is a hard slog and just adds to my illness. I'm sure my anxiety problem plays a major part in the constant worry and ruminating, I have a real fear of doing anything that doesn't conform to the system and the rules, which really are unfair. If I could work I would, I worked for many years, I now have a real fear of people judging me and would just not fit into a work place right now. I wouldnt like to think what would happen if I were forced to do so, my life is literally in their hands.

Understand it must be difficult for them to get this thing ,as it is complex, and I don't think , unless you have suffered with it you would ever know the torture and complexity of MH issues.
I'm so grateful for this forum and the peole on it, it helps to keep me a little more grounded, and to come at least half way to rationalising with it all.

X