Worrying about locked door

J

Justchecking

Hello, I have been diagnosed with OCD where I have to constantly check I have locked a door or turned a tap off. I'm having a mega stress at the mo as I locked up after work, set alarm and then closed the door. It's a keypad locked door so when closing it locks itself I think. I did this on my own. I even went back and pushed door and pulled and pushed to make sure it was shut. But even 3 hours later I'm worried its not locked. It's a floor in an office building which someone will lock at some point. How do I stop the worry? Please help?

C

clouds

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Justchecking
I don't have OCD but the best way I've found is too try keep calm, concentrate and lock a door, turn a tap or plugs off, whatever it is and say out loud "locked, done, off". I have to do it with the cooker, boiler, windows etc. and even if have to check and say it again it seems to work. Sorry if that's no help or you've tried it already x

MagicJay

MagicJay

I have to turn the taps off 3 times before I can go sleep at night, I won't be able sleep if I don't, but luckily it only 3 times and not consent like you :( :hug: maybe check them again but this time do like a check list in your mind so you know they are locked.

xx

J

Justchecking

Hello, thanks for the reply. Yeah I should try doing that now in future as it feels that when I am checking it isn't going into my brain that something is locked etc. so maybe saying it out loud will help register. I don't know what to do now. Part of me is tempted to cycle back just to check which is absurd and the building has probs been locked by now and I have no key. No one is back in the office until Monday now, though if someone did get in the alarm would go off and be registered to the alarm company who would call the owner.

God I wish I could stop this. It's insane.

C

clouds

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You're very welcome, try not to worry, the building is alarmed and registered with security. Saying out loud '"yes, it's done, secure" or whatever should help register and alleviate any doubts or worry

J

Justchecking

I will be using that from now on. I just can't forget it, like I have that urge to check again. It's calmed down a bit. But I can't seem to do something to completely get it off my mind. I keeping replaying it in my head what I did with the door.