• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worried that I have Schizophrenia

T

Tom2020

It runs in my family. Both my Grandmother and Grandfather suffered. Now I know I suffer from OCD, but there is something else wrong with me. Something on top of OCD.

Ok here goes... 1. I do not trust a lot of people and little things people do can piss me off and feel like they hate me. Turning me against them. Not to hurt them. I am not a violent person. I never hurt anyone. I may get angry, but I would never hurt anyone unless they physically harm me. I just avoid you and feel like you are against me. It is one of the reasons why I stopped seeing a therapist (saw one for the first time and got bad vibes). 2. I have anger problems and a temper. I break things when angry. 3. I have problems with authority and people telling me what to do. I get very angry when anyone tells me to do anything I do not want to do. One of the reasons I hate wearing a face mask. 4. I have never heard voices or seen things that are not there, but my OCD of bugs is leading me to feel bugs walking on me when they are not. I check constantly to see if bugs are walking on my bed or around me. And I have nightmares about bugs. 5. I get paranoid sometimes and feel like people are against me. And think about all the time.

Does it sound like I suffer from Schizophrenia? This is hard for me to even ask because I do not want to even think it passed on to me, but I need to know.

Thank you for answering.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I have schizophrenia and it sounds nothing like that. Schizophrenia is a devestating illness with voices and horrible delusions. Other people would see drastic changes in your behaviour if you had schiz.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

First you would have to have a psychotic episode, which could end you up in hospital.

If you have repeating psychotic episodes over months, years then perhaps a schizophrenia diagnosis is possible.

T

Tom2020

I have schizophrenia and it sounds nothing like that. Schizophrenia is a devestating illness with voices and horrible delusions. Other people would see drastic changes in your behaviour if you had schiz.
Oh ok, because when I brought up my anger and family history of Schizophrenia. The therapist (I now avoid) mentioned I might suffer from it .I do not understand. I have no voices or delusions. Only thing close is feeling things walking on me. I do not understand why he would say that. I did not even mention the bugs problem to him. This was all based on my anger and paranoia. Makes no sense

HLon99

HLon99

Oh ok, because when I brought up my anger and family history of Schizophrenia. The therapist (I now avoid) mentioned I might suffer from it .I do not understand. I have no voices or delusions. Only thing close is feeling things walking on me. I do not understand why he would say that. I did not even mention the bugs problem to him. This was all based on my anger and paranoia. Makes no sense
Dear Tom2020,

Schizophrenia, much like many other mental illnesses exists on a spectrum. Occasionally, people who have a family history of it may suffer from a lesser-known condition known as Schizotypal Personality Disorder, characterised by subclinical delusions, minor hallucinations and odd beliefs/disorganised behaviour. You may want to get yourself assessed for that.

I am not a doctor, but I think your therapist is wrong, you don't sound like you have schizophrenia as it is far more of a disabling condition. However, if you feel like your symptoms are getting worse, then you should absolutely seek help at the first possible opportunity.

Also, out of curiosity how long have you felt the way that you felt. Is it a lifelong problem for you or has it only just started recently? Do you feel as though its been getting worse recently, or has stayed more or less consistent? How have you been in your relationships with other people and your work life?

regards,
-H

T

Tom2020

Dear Tom2020,

Schizophrenia, much like many other mental illnesses exists on a spectrum. Occasionally, people who have a family history of it may suffer from a lesser-known condition known as Schizotypal Personality Disorder, characterised by subclinical delusions, minor hallucinations and odd beliefs/disorganised behaviour. You may want to get yourself assessed for that.

I am not a doctor, but I think your therapist is wrong, you don't sound like you have schizophrenia as it is far more of a disabling condition. However, if you feel like your symptoms are getting worse, then you should absolutely seek help at the first possible opportunity.

Also, out of curiosity how long have you felt the way that you felt. Is it a lifelong problem for you or has it only just started recently? Do you feel as though its been getting worse recently, or has stayed more or less consistent? How have you been in your relationships with other people and your work life?

regards,
-H
1. I felt this way my entire life. Well, except feeling bugs walking on me. That is brand new. It started in the summer after seeing a bug on my bed. And the majority of my problems are getting worse. None were as bad as they are now. Everything got worse in my mid-20s. I am 28 now .

Btw, cool Tony Soprano avatar. My favorite show.

HLon99

HLon99

1. I felt this way my entire life. Well, except feeling bugs walking on me. That is brand new. It started in the summer after seeing a bug on my bed. And the majority of my problems are getting worse. None were as bad as they are now. Everything got worse in my mid-20s. I am 28 now .

Btw, cool Tony Soprano avatar. My favorite show.
Dear tom2020,

Thanks, its my favourite show too. For now I would say, don't jump to conclusions. The fact that you can feel bugs crawling under your skin is concerning. I would suggest keeping a diary of all your symptoms for the next 6 months or so, pay close attention to any changes in your mood, motivation and ability to function. Try stick to a healthy lifestyle, exercise regularly, eat well and absolutely avoid all substances such as alcohol and drugs.

Having a family history of psychosis does increase your chances of developing it, but its not necessarily a death sentence. Psychosis tends to have a prodromal period (early warning signs) in adolescence to early adulthood, lasting anywhere from 6 months to 5 years. The VAST majority of cases never materialise into frank schizophrenia, so I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. However, that is no excuse to slack off and not take care of yourself.

I am not schizophrenic, I have Bipolar disorder, but I also suffered from minor psychotic features such as paranoia, and for that reason I was put on a low dose of Aripiprazole (abilify), an atypical antipsychotic, which has helped massively. I would suggest that should your symptoms get worse you should seek help from a psychiatrist.

If you ever feel like talking feel free.

best wishes,
-H

T

Tom2020

Dear tom2020,

Thanks, its my favourite show too. For now I would say, don't jump to conclusions. The fact that you can feel bugs crawling under your skin is concerning. I would suggest keeping a diary of all your symptoms for the next 6 months or so, pay close attention to any changes in your mood, motivation and ability to function. Try stick to a healthy lifestyle, exercise regularly, eat well and absolutely avoid all substances such as alcohol and drugs.

Having a family history of psychosis does increase your chances of developing it, but its not necessarily a death sentence. Psychosis tends to have a prodromal period (early warning signs) in adolescence to early adulthood, lasting anywhere from 6 months to 5 years. The VAST majority of cases never materialise into frank schizophrenia, so I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. However, that is no excuse to slack off and not take care of yourself.

I am not schizophrenic, I have Bipolar disorder, but I also suffered from minor psychotic features such as paranoia, and for that reason I was put on a low dose of Aripiprazole (abilify), an atypical antipsychotic, which has helped massively. I would suggest that should your symptoms get worse you should seek help from a psychiatrist.

If you ever feel like talking feel free.

best wishes,
-H
Not very healthy lately. Been drinking a lot, but I am trying. And never thought about keeping a written watch of my symptoms, but that does sound like a good idea.

Also, did not know bi polar can coincide with paranoia. Interesting. My family actually believes I have bi polar because my moods do shift. Did not mention that. Do not know if that is found in Schizophrenia. Definitely starting believe the doctor did not know what he was talking about saying I might have Schizophrenia after posting here.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Drinking a lot of alcohol can cause the feeling of bugs under the skin so maybe try to cut the drink down or stop it altogether.It's called formication so maybe give that a google.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
I've never seen anger problems on the list of symptoms of schizophrenia... 🤔

Its main symptoms consist 2 things- delusion and voices.

Believing others are against you is not quite a delusion. It sounds more of an assumption.

Now believing others are out to do harm to you, that is a delusion.

L

Lab rat

Sounds nothing like mine. I have had the bugs, but that was caused by a 3 day cocaine binge.