• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

worried mum

M

mumsy

hello out there

i have a son who is 24 and is on medication for depression. We want to find a drop in centre for him to meet other people. Is there any one out there who goes to the mind oasis centre who is about the same age.He is nervous about going but i feel if i can get some info for him it would help.thanks

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi,

I dont attend that particular centre, however just wanted to take the opportinity to welcome you to the forum. I hope you find it useful. Good luck with the group attendance also. I understand it can be nervewracking initially, but generally they are very friendly and i am sure the person who leads it will understand also.

Take care and let us know how your son is doing.

Jo

P

pinkmetalgirl

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not from that area either - but understand how scary it can be to go somewhere new. I think Plymouth Mind run a befriending service - if going to a drop in is too big a step right now, maybe getting some 1-2-1 peer support/befriending might help build his confidence.

Other than that, encourage him to speak to OASIS about his worries - they might be able to introduce him to someone else who uses the centre that he might get on with and that can show him the ropes and help him settle in. A friendly face can mean the world of difference

GOod luck

x PMG

M

mumsy

thanks

Thanks to the people who replyed to my post.Much appreciated.:)

emski

emski

I'm not from that area, but I go to a peer support group run by the MDF in my area. Although going to any kind of organised group thing is nerve-wracking at first, they can be great places of support and acceptance. Good luck to you and your son with it

W

Watercolours

Hello and welcome to the forum, I hope you can find some additional support for your son.