• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Worried I can never work or travel?

C

Comfort23

Months ago, I had to install a site blocker extension called BlockSite for Google Chrome to keep myself from clicking on articles about the virus. The free version let me add keywords that I could block so I blocked any keyword that would get me worked up (like corona, virus, covid, etc.) Basically, I lacked the necessary self-control to NOT compulsively Google things in my weak moments and the site blocker popped up a picture reminding me I blocked this which is the extra support I need to stop compulsively googling and doomscrolling. There's a lot of speculation and so far things have gone MUCH better than the doom and gloom posted in the articles. The "doomscrolling" was causing me to get so discouraged and hopeless that I'd have really intense emotions at the same time as having really intense passive suicidal thoughts. I realized this was serious and I had to do whatever I could to keep myself safe. So, I removed lethal means when I was in a more rational state of mind. I also learned about TIPP techniques particularly using really cold water or an ice pack on my face. I wonder if some of the TIPP skills or anti-anxiety techniques for soothing the vagal nerve would help you? Maybe you've already tried them?

P

Phil10

In Israel you need a vaccine passport to go to the pub or the gym despite only 50% being vaccinated. Pretty grim I fear it coming here and I have little choice but to have this vaccine.

Book addict

Book addict

Like I've said before, if you don't want it don't have it. 😊 It can not be forced upon you. I highly doubt you'll have to provide proof to go to the pub, to shop or to travel resulting, in an outright ban if you fail to comply. There will always be alternatives in place, meaning you will still be able to do those things without being vaccinated. Do not worry so much and stay away from nonsense speculating media reports. Constantly reading them will not help and do you no good whatsoever.

P

Phil10

My sister and mother in law are both worried about ending up in ICU with Covid. Both are healthy but they worry they will be ill is it justified to take the vaccine or is it foolish to not take it?

Book addict

Book addict

If they have no preexisting health conditions then it's highly unlikely that if they do catch covid, that they'll end up in ICU.
And it's entirely up to you and them, whether to get vaccinated or not. No one can make that decision for you. If you'd prefer to wait till further down the line to get vaccinated, then that's entirely possible and again, up to you.

P

Phil10

If they have no preexisting health conditions then it's highly unlikely that if they do catch covid, that they'll end up in ICU.
And it's entirely up to you and them, whether to get vaccinated or not. No one can make that decision for you. If you'd prefer to wait till further down the line to get vaccinated, then that's entirely possible and again, up to you.
Thanks true I am really worried about the needles and the reactions from vaccines but also worrying about Covid or vaccine passports are no fun either. I think that’s why I have panic attacks right now. I do worry I can’t live my life without a passport they said today they will review it in May so we may know soon the rules. But another two months of speculation. They did hint testing but I hope it’s better than a swab.

Book addict

Book addict

If you have genuine concerns or are just not sure about getting the vaccine right now, then don't get it. No one can make you. It's your decision, and there'll always be the option to change your mind at a later stage anyway, as I imagine it may become a yearly thing.
Vaccine passports may be a requirement in the short term for certain countries, I'd imagine. But I really don't think they will be a long term thing, but even if they are, as I've said before, there will still be alternatives in place for unvaccinated people. So don't stress or worry about it. You'll still be able to live your life and enjoy doing things. 😊
I'd also say any rules or guidelines they do bring in this year are liable to change as the virus, and the situation in general, isn't a fixed thing it's constantly changing.

P

Phil10

If you have genuine concerns or are just not sure about getting the vaccine right now, then don't get it. No one can make you. It's your decision, and there'll always be the option to change your mind at a later stage anyway, as I imagine it may become a yearly thing.
Vaccine passports may be a requirement in the short term for certain countries, I'd imagine. But I really don't think they will be a long term thing, but even if they are, as I've said before, there will still be alternatives in place for unvaccinated people. So don't stress or worry about it. You'll still be able to live your life and enjoy doing things. 😊
I'd also say any rules or guidelines they do bring in this year are liable to change as the virus, and the situation in general, isn't a fixed thing it's constantly changing.
Tomorrow’s times newspaper suggests a vaccine passport will recommend an option for testing. That sounds good only the saliva tests which I prefer are £100 plus at Superdrug and don’t give instant results. Hopefully they don’t come in for work as thats expensive.

Book addict

Book addict

There will have to be an option for testing, not everyone can have the vaccine after all. I don't know much about the saliva tests, but I definitely wouldn't pay that amount of money for one, that's for sure. And I'd guess that if you had to be tested for work then, they'd provide the test for you to use. I don't imagine they'd make you pay for one.

P

Phil10

There will have to be an option for testing, not everyone can have the vaccine after all. I don't know much about the saliva tests, but I definitely wouldn't pay that amount of money for one, that's for sure. And I'd guess that if you had to be tested for work then, they'd provide the test for you to use. I don't imagine they'd make you pay for one.
Ok. But like I would hope to not test positive otherwise I would be very worried. Cant win a vaccine offers protection but a test well if you’re positive you can’t go to a gig. It’s confusing as you can still have covid if you have the vaccine so wonder if the test would be for vaccine or no vaccine people. I am unsure what’s the solution i just hope vaccines are not yearly and same for testing. I mean I doubt you test positive for COVID every week anyway?

Book addict

Book addict

This is why it's pointless to speculate on what may or may not happen. There's way to many different factors to take into account and to make work. It's best to wait and see what happens further down the line.
But I will say it's likely that yeah, the vaccine will be a yearly thing. But it's optional, you won't be forced.

P

Phil10

Talk of vaccine passports seems to be ramping up now. I have been getting in heated debates online about it. I am sure I read Ireland is bringing one out so what do you suggest if we head down the worst case scenario of passports? It seems more likely than it did a few months a go so a bit worrying?

Book addict

Book addict

No matter how many debates or reports there are about vaccine passports, I will still refuse to have one if I deem it unsafe for me.
There's no point even engaging in debates with people about it, as nothing has even been confirmed yet. You're just stressing yourself out over nothing but speculation.

P

Phil10

No matter how many debates or reports there are about vaccine passports, I will still refuse to have one if I deem it unsafe for me.
There's no point even engaging in debates with people about it, as nothing has even been confirmed yet. You're just stressing yourself out over nothing but speculation.
Yes it’s on tomorrow’s papers again I really fear it coming in. It’s pretty awful that’s the situation we are in. But worrying about COVID is no fun either. Every time my throat has a tickle I worry about COVID. The vaccine stresses me out too. It’s good things are opening up but still a few months off. I worry I will have to come round to having the vaccine or I won’t have much of a life? It’s a difficult choice but if they stop you living your normal life this may be like forced?

Book addict

Book addict

Whatever is going to be in tomorrow's papers or next week's papers for that matter, it's all speculation. Nothing has been confirmed or decided upon, it's too early for that. So why keep on reading this stuff and getting yourself all worked up and stressed over it? It's pointless.
As long as you are doing the best you can to stay safe, then I'm sure you'll be ok. But all this worry isn't going to be good for you, at all.
No one is going to force you to have the vaccine. Why don't you wait and see what happens further down the line and make you decision then?