• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Worried for a friend. What should I do?

J

JJones

One of my closest friends was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 7 years old, and is showing signs of it now at 15. He is very paranoid, hallucinates, doesn't feel real, hears voices and has a lack of insight into his condition.
I am genuinely worried for him.
He told me today that last night he went out of his house "running away from these eyes" and woke up in a field. I know it interferes with his school work.
Just he tells me he is happy, and finds the hallucinations funny and entertaining, but really when he chases them he puts himself and others in danger.

I know how it can affect the lives of people, so have you got any advise for me or for him? Should he get help? Should I force it?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi :welcome: maybe you could print off some information from the internet on schizophrenia and show it to him ,explain he shows some of the symptoms and you are very concerned about him and you think it might be an idea if he saw somebody xx you say he is happy but as you say he is putting others in danger with his actions
it sounds like he really could do with seeing a doctor i hope you can persuade him to do so
lots of love from fairy lu xx

J

JJones

hi :welcome: maybe you could print off some information from the internet on schizophrenia and show it to him ,explain he shows some of the symptoms and you are very concerned about him and you think it might be an idea if he saw somebody xx you say he is happy but as you say he is putting others in danger with his actions
it sounds like he really could do with seeing a doctor i hope you can persuade him to do so
lots of love from fairy lu xx
Thanks.
To be honest I've tried everything you've said, he does seem very stubborn in in his delusions, but that comes with the condition.
Can you suggest any way of persuading him?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am unconvinced by this diagnosing children at 7 or such ages. I think its an American thing and not helpful at all. I worry about not only the drugs they put growing children on, but also that people tell them they are schizophrenic, which can make the child believe it and behave accordingly. A sort of self fulfilling prophesy.

But what you are describing sounds as though he is very distressed. Can you talk to his family? I would suggest they need to know and maybe they are already helping him out. As for his beliefs, if a person believes something, then its pointless trying to tell them this isn't true. But, distraction from them can help. I don't mean ignore things, but try to get him talking about something that interests him, just be a friends and don't see him only as having a MH problem.

I will PM you in a mo, if your friend is 15, how old are you honey?