• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worried about racist comments

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
there are probably poor white people in america who feel their needs and concerns are been ignored and forgotton with concerns about black rights

floater

floater

Brought up with both robust and 'polite' language. One thing I've noticed is even a fool can appear wise if he says nothing, like the Bible says. So I'm pro-people having free speech. People walking on egg-shells navigating political correctness tells you nothing about them, except they are not the sort you want in a robust situation like a warzone or revolution or military coup, or some other social upheaval that brings high emotion to the masses.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I feel as though I've somehow undone progress. It dosen't sit right with me.
I'll offer a counter narrative, let me know what you think please?

You became uncomfortable when race was brought up as many people are. You used humor to deflect that discomfort. Later, you became aware that this behavior doesn't fit your values. By the way catching that is a sign of self-awareness, which i consider progress not regress.

This will likely happen again but it doesn't need to. Learning to sit with discomfort is possible for you but it will require interrogating your feelings about race so as to understand why you feel uncomfortable when someone else brings it up.

floater

floater

In the 80s everyone mocked Russia and its absence of free-speech, necessary to hold the soviet union together with its disparate principalities. Now it is on the other boot, that the US is grabbing at futile laws of what can and cannot be said, as its fragile national sense of nationhood threatens again and again to go down the tube. But really words are sounds, its only the one who shouts 'fire' with a firing squad who should concern the shrewd man.

Z

Zaz3

There's only one race...the human race. Everything else is just labels set up to create division among people.

floater

floater

There's only one race...the human race. Everything else is just labels set up to create division among people.
There's lots of families, some are nice and some less so, some faster and some faster still. Enough time and space - humans will splinter into different species, and that's what they argue over, yet there is enough time and space for millions of species here and across space. Question of vision I guess?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
pity mental health workers don't think of how they treat their clients when they lecture captive audiences of mentally ill people on race

Hello513

Hello513

There's lots of families, some are nice and some less so, some faster and some faster still. Enough time and space - humans will splinter into different species, and that's what they argue over, yet there is enough time and space for millions of species here and across space. Question of vision I guess?

I do not think humans will diverge into different species unless there becomes viable space travel, but who knows I could be wrong.

T

troubleSome

ACCOUNT CLOSED
We are born to live only a short span of years.

We are the only animals not able to survive in the natural environment.
Instead we require material goods to survive.
Each human being either creates (at least) as much as he/she consumes, or he/she does not.

Given these simple fundamental, undeniable realities of human life, there is only one rational criteria by which to judge another human being: what do you do? What is the result you leave behind you in the world each day?

Race, ethnicity, national origin.... those things have nothing to do with the matter of what you produce. And nothing else matters.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
We are born to live only a short span of years.

We are the only animals not able to survive in the natural environment.
Instead we require material goods to survive.
Each human being either creates (at least) as much as he/she consumes, or he/she does not.

Given these simple fundamental, undeniable realities of human life, there is only one rational criteria by which to judge another human being: what do you do? What is the result you leave behind you in the world each day?

Race, ethnicity, national origin.... those things have nothing to do with the matter of what you produce. And nothing else matters.
what do you do? What is the result you leave behind you in the world each day?

and if you do nothing, if you achieve very little say because you have a disability do you consider the person worth less

T

troubleSome

ACCOUNT CLOSED
what do you do? What is the result you leave behind you in the world each day?

and if you do nothing, if you achieve very little say because you have a disability do you consider the person worth less
Of course not.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
thats what you infer by saying your worth is what you produce, if you have a disability such that you don't produce much, if your one of the hungry eaters

maybe i'm over sensitive

T

troubleSome

ACCOUNT CLOSED
thats what you infer by saying your worth is what you produce, if you have a disability such that you don't produce much, if your one of the hungry eaters

maybe i'm over sensitive
I think the greater error is mine.
It is a difficult truth to express in a non-threatening, inoffensive way.

My intent was more a matter of the character of people in general.
Those who endeavor to give as much as they take, vs the opposite.

If I have offended you then I sincerely apologize.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
not many remember harold wilsons social contract in britain you behave give what you can in return the state supports you when you need it

thats not the talk of the latest politicians