• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worried about racist comments

T

Tuger72111

I was talking to some freinds about racism and some of them are older people, who grew up in much more politically uncorrect times. Someone asked them what they think when they hear 'african american' and before anyone could answer I cut in and joked 'a monkey'. Looking back I did it to parody racists and to make fun of that stupid mentality but I feel really bad for doing it. I feel as though I've somehow undone progress. It dosen't sit right with me.

Hello513

Hello513

I was talking to some freinds about racism and some of them are older people, who grew up in much more politically uncorrect times. Someone asked them what they think when they hear 'african american' and before anyone could answer I cut in and joked 'a monkey'. Looking back I did it to parody racists and to make fun of that stupid mentality but I feel really bad for doing it. I feel as though I've somehow undone progress. It dosen't sit right with me.
I rarely say anything racist, but I often have racist thoughts. I work to shoot these racist thoughts down with varying levels of success.

From what I have read virtually every human on the planet is racist to some degree or another. The reason for this is we are pre-disposed to tribalsim the protection of our in group over the out group which I think can largely attribute towards the concept of racism

The solution to this is to expose yourself to the outgroup, and this will help to destroy those racist tendencies as you learn these outgroup people are not much different from you overall, and good people in their own way.

Certainly I agree your comment was innapropriate, and my advice is to recognize it is innapropriate and work to correct this. One of the best things you could do to correct this is get to know people of others races and cultures as this will help to erode your preconceptions of them as you get to know them as people rather than as labels.

E

Elisante

Taking a break
Did any black person hear it? No? Were you joking? Then you have nothing to feel guilty about.
The very fact that you typed this in a mental health forum proves that deep down you know that the guilt you feel is irrational.

Having said that, I'm very ashamed that I live in an era where society has conditioned people to feel guilty for jokes. Is that progress or a cult?

JessisMe

JessisMe

You demonstrated lack of sensitivity and hateful
and backwards thinking. The good news is that you are reflective enough to know that you don’t want to be this way and can strive to not have it happen again. xo, j

Hello513

Hello513

I for instance while some people argue it is not racism have a pre-disposition against islam. This is largely influenced by my father a very vocal critic of islam.

However I have had many muslim friends, and even a muslim girlfriend which helped me see past my preconception of muslims.

Further I looked at the statistics, and discovered per capita that muslims are not in fact the most violent sect upon the planet as I once believed.

I know what the most violent sect on the planet is, but I will not mention it here as it is largely irrelevant. Needless to say it is by far not Islam despite my preconceptions.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i got a dilawi free meal from the hindu temple today made me think of multiculturism, i remember a black guy at the gym saying he liked it because it was multicultural, i feel some of the people shouldn't be out in the community

and the people who judge me for my view of my gym pay a lot of money to go to a private gym where they can avoid certain people

and yes there are people who'd say i shouldn't be out in the community

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I for instance while some people argue it is not racism have a pre-disposition against islam. This is largely influenced by my father a very vocal critic of islam.

However I have had many muslim friends, and even a muslim girlfriend which helped me see past my preconception of muslims.

Further I looked at the statistics, and discovered per capita that muslims are not in fact the most violent sect upon the planet as I once believed.

I know what the most violent sect on the planet is, but I will not mention it here as it is largely irrelevant. Needless to say it is by far not Islam despite my preconceptions.
theres 2 sects of the muslim faith both fighting each other, they seperated at the death of mohammed one under mohammeds children wanted an islamic state a kaliphate the other went a different route, not alll muslims suppport the islamic state or it's version of terrorism

Hello513

Hello513

i got a dilawi free meal from the hindu temple today made me think of multiculturism, i remember a black guy at the gym saying he liked it because it was multicultural, i feel some of the people shouldn't be out in the community

and the people who judge me for my view of my gym pay a lot of money to go to a private gym where they can avoid certain people

and yes there are people who'd say i shouldn't be out in the community
The idea that certain people should not be out in the community is not really disputed by any society on the planet. That is why we have prisons for people who violate the laws to such a degree they lose their right to such a priviledge.

However not knowing whom you mean I cannot really say more.

Hello513

Hello513

theres 2 sects of the muslim faith both fighting each other, they seperated at the death of mohammed one under mohammeds children wanted an islamic state a kaliphate the other went a different route, not alll muslims suppport the islamic state or it's version of terrorism
Shia and Sunni. I am well aware of this now. My previous views were in error as I have stated, but it took getting to know actual muslims, and looking at the data to overcome this.

It was my error largely passed to me from my father.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Shia and Sunni. I am well aware of this now. My previous views were in error as I have stated, but it took getting to know actual muslims, and looking at the data to overcome this.

It was my error largely passed to me from my father.
it took talking to this guy at the disabled group who was fasting for eid to discover that then i looked it up on the internet encyclopaedia

Hello513

Hello513

it took talking to this guy at the disabled group who was fasting for eid to discover that then i looked it up on the internet encyclopaedia
In my case it took becomming a mathematics tutor at my college. When I was a tutor I made several muslim friends, and learned about their religion, and diverse peoples.

It quickly began to erode my preconceptions of these people. They were highly compassionate, and intelligent. Not at all what my father had made them out to be.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i do unfortumately think this concern for black rights causes resentment with other minority groups that feel they've been forgotton

the london labour lot ask why they lost i could tell them but i'd be called a racist and calling people racists doesn't get their vote

Hello513

Hello513

i do unfortumately think this concern for black rights causes resentment with other minority groups that feel they've been forgotton

the london labour lot ask why they lost i could tell them but i'd be called a racist and calling people racists doesn't get their vote
I live in the states so I cannot actually comment on this as I think most likely race relations are largely different in the states than the UK

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
best dissapear been drinking

Ineedhelp2921

Ineedhelp2921

We should never judge anyone by the colour of their skin, only by their actions.
I work with a variety of people from different communities and every single person no matter what their skin colour has been very hospitable, friendly and welcoming.
People should believe in what they believe as long as it doesn't cause harm to others or themselves.
How boring would life be if we were all the same.

As for your joke, yes it wasn't acceptable however you have reflected on it and realized it was wrong. I suggest maybe apologise to them.
I only say this because although I am white, I have been with people (Very close friends in fact) who have made racist jokes and they know it makes me uncomfortable. Which actually makes one of them do it more. And it hurts me deeply that they do that. And I wish they would talk to me about it or even apologise. It has changed my perspective of them, and I keep reflecting back on the things they have said.

I know you didn't take it further then that, but just apologise anyway, you don't know how it made the others feel