• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worried about my future and need advice

R

RachaelS

Hi, I posted something similar to this the other day but I just feel I need to call out for some more advice☹

I have bad social anxiety and the number 1 thing that triggers it is having a job.. I stress so much about talking to colleagues and maintaining conversations etc, even asking for help I can’t do. I’m just so shy. It sends me into a complete panic attack even thinking about it which has resulted in me not being able to hold a job down.

My most recent job I lasted 1 day and then I just couldn’t face going again.

How do you guys you suffer with social anxiety deal with going to work? Or are there any work from home sorta career paths you’ve found? I really worry I won’t ever be able to support myself financially.

American Boy

American Boy

I have the same problem but have recently been getting better by forcing myself to talk to others when I need help like for example asking where something is in a shop.

I don't work because I'm just not capable and also I've suffered with extreme tiredness for a very long time. Maybe see if you can claim benefits instead and get yourself an appointment with C.A.B to get yourself some help onto benefits that way you can relax and do what you want until you feel ready to go back into the work place.

A

aisha23

Hi, I posted something similar to this the other day but I just feel I need to call out for some more advice☹

I have bad social anxiety and the number 1 thing that triggers it is having a job.. I stress so much about talking to colleagues and maintaining conversations etc, even asking for help I can’t do. I’m just so shy. It sends me into a complete panic attack even thinking about it which has resulted in me not being able to hold a job down.

How do you guys you suffer with social anxiety deal with going to work? Or are there any work from home sorta career paths you’ve found? I really worry I won’t ever be able to support myself financially.

while I can't offer any advice on the situation, I want to tell you that for a number of reasons (mental and physical), I can't work- and my financial situation is, well, terrible (I can't even order a cheap dvd on amazon)

I don't have parents who can help me either, so yeah, it really sucks and it is embarrassing.

I hope that you find something

Annelis

Annelis

I learnt to deal with a few colleagues, I mean the regular stuff, such as asking them for keys, or to print out stuff for me. However when I know that I need to discuss something not regular, it makes me stressed and it takes me a very long time to force myself to deal with it. Mostly my family and friends suffer when such thing occurs because I'm like "omg, tomorrow I'll have to talk to the headmistress about the fair, omg how will I do that..." And when there are some surprises like there's there is a new colleague (or someone who works other days then me usually) it makes the regular stuff distressing too... But I love my job, I mean it can't go without some social interaction but it's not the main part so I'm determined to somehow handle all the anxiety and concentrate on the work I have to do.
Good luck to you in finding something that you'd be more comfortable with

Linda1989

Linda1989

I cant give any advice because i never had job im 30 and i have schizophrenia, i know its embarrassing , the closet job i ever had was when i was 16 and 17 at vo tech my trade was nursing 6 hour job feeding old people and making beds then i quit because i start hearing voices and was paranoid. Im thinking about getting a job at a nursing home washing clothes and making beds. The only thing i have to worry about is getting my medication.

J

Jwest

Self employment or careers with less social interaction

R

RachaelS

I have the same problem but have recently been getting better by forcing myself to talk to others when I need help like for example asking where something is in a shop.

I don't work because I'm just not capable and also I've suffered with extreme tiredness for a very long time. Maybe see if you can claim benefits instead and get yourself an appointment with C.A.B to get yourself some help onto benefits that way you can relax and do what you want until you feel ready to go back into the work place.
Ah yes thank you I’m definitely gonna look into it, hope you’re doing well ☺

R

RachaelS

while I can't offer any advice on the situation, I want to tell you that for a number of reasons (mental and physical), I can't work- and my financial situation is, well, terrible (I can't even order a cheap dvd on amazon)

I don't have parents who can help me either, so yeah, it really sucks and it is embarrassing.

I hope that you find something
I really feel for you. I hope things get better for you soon!!!

R

RachaelS

I learnt to deal with a few colleagues, I mean the regular stuff, such as asking them for keys, or to print out stuff for me. However when I know that I need to discuss something not regular, it makes me stressed and it takes me a very long time to force myself to deal with it. Mostly my family and friends suffer when such thing occurs because I'm like "omg, tomorrow I'll have to talk to the headmistress about the fair, omg how will I do that..." And when there are some surprises like there's there is a new colleague (or someone who works other days then me usually) it makes the regular stuff distressing too... But I love my job, I mean it can't go without some social interaction but it's not the main part so I'm determined to somehow handle all the anxiety and concentrate on the work I have to do.
Good luck to you in finding something that you'd be more comfortable with
Thank you, I’m glad you’ve found ways to help yourself and having a job you love must be great! 😃

R

RachaelS

I cant give any advice because i never had job im 30 and i have schizophrenia, i know its embarrassing , the closet job i ever had was when i was 16 and 17 at vo tech my trade was nursing 6 hour job feeding old people and making beds then i quit because i start hearing voices and was paranoid. Im thinking about getting a job at a nursing home washing clothes and making beds. The only thing i have to worry about is getting my medication.
I hope starting work goes well for you (if you decide to). Good luck!!

R

RachaelS

Self employment or careers with less social interaction
Thank you! I want to be self employed but I’m not sure how to start up anything like that or even what sorta career path I can go down...

S

saynow

You may have issue need to be solved you can talk to your doctor about