• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worried about losing drivers licence

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My consultant told me I must inform DVLA about my schizophrenia.I did a few months ago.Now he wants to see me to answer questions.Apparently DVLA have been in touch with him.
I'm worried I'm about to lose my licence.I need a car as both my job and my partners job are too far to bike or bus.I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience to share.My appointment is on Monday.

D

Danage

My consultant told me I must inform DVLA about my schizophrenia.I did a few months ago.Now he wants to see me to answer questions.Apparently DVLA have been in touch with him.
I'm worried I'm about to lose my licence.I need a car as both my job and my partners job are too far to bike or bus.I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience to share.My appointment is on Monday.
Well, I have schizophrenia-type psychosis and I am learning to drive, so I am sure it is nothing to worry about.

T

Twylight

No worries, but they quite often grant a licence for three years at a time

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for the responses.I am suspicious of my consultant.Apparently he's had a form from the DVLA for ages but now wants to see me (again) before he fills it out.

Y

yours truly

your doctor and the DVLA are following standard procedures

if i understand correctly, you're still on the olanzapine, which is heavy duty medication. the side effects can make the user drowsy or impair judgement

http://www.nmhct.nhs.uk/Pharmacy/atypical.htm

Can I drive while I am taking them ?

These drugs can affect your driving e.g. you may feel drowsy. Until this wears off, or you know how your drug affects you, do not drive or operate machinery. You should be careful as they may affect your reaction times or reflexes even though you feel well.

It is against the law to drive, attempt to drive or be in charge of a vehicle when unfit, either through illness or from the side effects of medication. Under UK law, it is the drivers responsibility to let the DVLA and insurance company know if you may be "unfit" to drive. If you do not, and you have an accident, it could effect your insurance cover. Your doctor will be able to advise you, and may wish to access the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) guidelines website, which has the current DVLA guidelines on anxiety/depression, psychotic disorders, mania and other conditions. If your doctor advises you not to drive, and you continue to do so, the doctor can inform the DVLA directly, as he or she would be lawfully responsible were you to have an accident. Once told, the DVLA may wish to carry out an enquiry, but you are entitled to drive until there a decision is made
according to that article your consultant would technically be lawfully responsible if you had an accident. so make a strong case to him/her when you them, that you are fit to drive

goodluck

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
If the shrink is operating in full stabilised on mediction mode he shouldn't cause any problems

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ok.Thanks for the advice.

T

Twylight

A freind of mine admitted to using cannabis

He was only granted a licence for 12 months and every year he had to visit a GP and have the cannabis levels in his blood measured.

D

Danage

A freind of mine admitted to using cannabis

He was only granted a licence for 12 months and every year he had to visit a GP and have the cannabis levels in his blood measured.
This is a bit off-topic, but do they test for cannabis that is also medicinal?

T

Twylight

This is a bit off-topic, but do they test for cannabis that is also medicinal?
Yes if cannabis levels are too high they will refuse the licence application

I think they do a urine test

T

Twylight

Also on the form: there is a question:
' Has your illness got any worse?' - the answer is NO

Even if you have had ' another episode '.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Just got back from my appointment.My cannabis use was an issue.I'm guessing I'll have to provide a urine sample next.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Schizophrenia Forum 10
E Schizophrenia Forum 3