Worried about being honest

E

Eli1980

I’ve got a meeting with a psychologist on Friday and I’m worrying about telling her that in the last few weeks I’ve been seeing a little girl sitting on my kids swing in the garden and also by the lake when I was away in Wales. My concern is that they may suggest I stop driving( which will stop me being able to work). I never see anything when I’m driving may I add.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ollie

Passionflower

Passionflower

I have schizophrenia with auditory hallucinations etc, yet I am allowed to drive so it is not necessary to lose your licence especially if you don't see things when driving.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi
you really should tell the truth ,if they don't know what is really going on they cannot help you
sending you love hugs and best wishes for your appointment
please let us know how you get on
love Lu x

H

hongli

You should try to tell the truth if you want the best tailored help for you. Make sure you insist that you are fine while driving if that is a major concern. Your psychologist should be professional enough to respect that.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Yes I agree with others. Please be honest. They can help you better that way. :hug:

Seachad

Seachad

I can't speak to schizophrenia. That's not my diagnosis. I do, however, have Sleep Apnea, which, before it was successfully treated, put me into sleep deprivation badly enough that I started hallucinating. I did have hallucinations while driving. I was driving home one night, and hallucinated a small herd of deer leaping in front of the car. I braked hard - luckily no cars were behind us. Once it was established that there were, in fact, no deer -- I'd hallucinated -- I stopped driving then and there. My opinion was that my being able to drive wasn't worth the risk of taking-out a school bus full of kids, or some other innocent driver. It meant I had to stop working, too, until the doctors got the Apnea under control -- which was rough, but I still think I made the right decision. My driving was putting other people at risk, and I could've injured or killed other people, unintentionally, at any time if I'd hallucinated behind the wheel again.

You say you don't hallucinate when you're driving. Only you can determine whether you want to risk driving or not, if you have an issue with hallucinating. But I'd suggest, respectfully and compassionately, as someone who's been there, that you sit down and give it some serious thought beyond "I won't be able to work." I know that I wouldn't've been able to handle it, had I caused someone to be badly injured or killed, if I hadn't stopped driving. Maybe you don't need to. But it deserves some serious consideration, from all angles, regardless.

I'm afraid I have to agree with the other folks here, too, regarding telling the truth to your doctors. They really do need to know the truth about your hallucinations, or they won't be able to help you. They may be able to resolve the issue, but they can't do that if they don't know it exists, now, can they? Lying isn't going to get you anywhere, IMO.

In any case, I do hope things resolve themselves for the best. Take care, eh?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I see things sometimes that aren't there but I've never noticed this happening when I drive. I've been open with my psychologist about this and she hasn't done anything to prevent me to drive. But the last time I had a relapse I had bad cognitive disfunction and I got in 3 minor car accidents in one week, so they told me to stop driving for a while. After about a month, with a med change and I got my head on straight, I was able to start driving again. In my case the recommendation to stop driving didn't come until I proved, by the accidents, that I shouldn't be driving. They never did anything legally to prevent me to drive. They just took my word that I wouldn't drive until I got better. But I also didn't have a job to drive to and I had my wife to drive me around.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Schizophrenia Forum 4