• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

worried about baby. growth injections. early birth?

D

Dibzy123

So I'm 36 weeks pregnant. My baby is currently wieghing 4 pound 4 so the docs are worried that she's to small. The past two evenings the hospital has monitored the baby. They are happy with movements and heart beat etc but just worried about size. Both evenings they injected me with a steroid to try and pregress the growth. I have a scan booked for Monday afternoon to see what's happening and I think they may decide to induce me.
I'm really worried obviously. My main fear... Apart from health conditions... I cant see her in an incubator. I couldn't face it... I couldn't go and see her. That's my baby. I cant....
Has anyone ever had similar experiences??

Sorry if this post is very messy, I'm typing it from my phone!!
Any suport would be great. Thanks

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I can understand how worried you are. My only advice would be, when you go for the scan on Monday ask as many questions as possible. Ask them why they think your baby isn't growing as much as they'd like and what exactly the risks are if you carry the baby to full-term rather than having an early induction.

If you've got another 4 weeks to go, the baby should put on more weight in that time. My son was only 5lbs when he was born (1 week early) and he was absolutely fine. He was always destined to be a small person (just like his mum and his dad) - he's fully grown now and only 5'4"! Also - are you positive you've got the birth date right? One week out either way can make a bit of a difference.

The main thing is to be brave on Monday and keep on pressing the medical staff for information until you are sure you understand what they are saying and also - try not to worry too much - remember that postnatal care of babies in hospitals is utterly amazing these days and I'm sure you and your baby will be fine.

Good luck :)

D

Dibzy123

Yes the due date is 3rd of January. I've asked countless times about why it may be small and all they can come up with is 'we don't know as baby's healthy in every other manner'. I've also been told that the main risk with these injections I had is that the baby's at more of a higher risks in having either heart ot physical abnormalities. Worry.com

E

earthbound_misfit

My main fear... Apart from health conditions... I cant see her in an incubator. I couldn't face it... I couldn't go and see her. That's my baby. I cant....
There are many things in life we think we can't face. Sometimes, they happen. And then we face them, with love and support and hugs (hopefully) and we come through the other side.
If your baby is in an incubator for a while, you'll be right be her side, because you won't be able to take your eyes of your beautiful baby... and she will want her mummy there.
And remember, being in an incubator or anything else just means they're doing the best for your baby, plenty of babies are taken care of like this in the first few days and are fine afterwards - my nephew is one. The first pic I saw of him was with an airtube in and in an incubator, and I just wanted to snuggle him and didn't really see all the tubes etc. And that was just a nephew! (Seriously, got a weird, protective rush when I saw his pic... he looked like our family lol... did not expect to react like that).

Take care and hope all goes well *hugs*

Much easier said than done, but try not to worry - chances are it'll all be fine :)

EM

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi. Sorry to hear about your problems. I know how worrying and upsetting this must be. The main thing is that they think your baby is healthy and well, which is really good news and something to concentrate on.

Although the circumstances were different, my first babies were just over 4 pound each (premature twins) when delivered and had to be incubated for a time. Nobody wants to see their baby in an incubator in the SCU but it was reassuring to know that they were being well looked after and I was able to spend all of my time with them.

Please try not to worry too much. If your baby does have to go in to an incubator for a while it's just because it needs that little extra care. I hope all goes well.