• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Worried about a family member - Is this Schizophrenia?

E

Emsflyer84

Hey all, thanks in advance for the awesome information I’m sure I’ll find in these forums. It’s great to have a place to talk with others.

My brother is in a long term relationship (13 years), and his significant other recently started displaying symptoms consistent with schizophrenia.

Both of them have had drug abuse problems off and on in the past, and a couple weeks ago, she went to the hospital after she began accusing my brother of doing crazy things in their house, and seeing people in the walls and the floors. She claimed my brother was hiding other women in the house and she could see them in the walls. She accused him of hiding a specific woman in their bedroom. She opened the door and no one was there. She yelled “there she goes!” Claiming the invisible woman ran out of the room.

She taped over all the heat vents and electrical outlets, claiming there were cameras in there watching her. She also cut open the couch looking for people hiding and covered a table in aluminum foil so the cameras couldn’t see through. When the ambulance showed up after she agreed to go to the hospital, she acted completely normal toward them. And acted completely normal other times as well. The spells of claiming people were hin the walls were random.

Everyone originally thought she had overdosed on her prescribed Vyvance, which can cause hallucinations. She was taken off the drug. After a few days in the hospital, she acted normal long enough for them to send her home. She then began taking the Vyvance again, but strictly her prescribed dose. Things seemed to be going ok, when a couple days ago, my brother was changing a lightbulb in the house and she came running down the stairs screaming “I can’t leave you alone in the house for 5 minutes and you have that girl here, I saw her on the camera!” They do have security cameras in the house. My brother told her no one was there, and asked her to show him the video. She said the video erases after she watches it.

she also claims that this woman has broken into her office at work and they have to change the locks, and claims that my brother is somehow manipulating and deleting files from her work computer via his cell phone somehow.

No one knows what’s going on with her, if it’s a medication problem or something else. The hallucinations seem to be totally random, but the theme is always the same. A woman, or people watching from the walls. In fact, last week she pulled her car over and tore it apart on the side of the road looking for the woman my brother was hiding there. She ended up leaving my brother on the side of the road and driving off.

She has always had trust problems, so it’s not surprising that these delusions center around my brother and another woman. Aha has also told my brother in the past that she’s had strange headaches that feel like bugs crawling around in her head.

We don’t really know where to turn with this. Any thoughts on what we’re experiencing? Thanks!

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm not sure what it is and wouldn't want to try to guess or try to diagnose.

I think others might say schizophrenia,which it very well could be.But since you said there's been past drug abuse problems the first thing I thought of was meth.

My son says and does the most bizarre things sometimes when he comes over and it's obvious he's been using meth.He gets super paranoid and thinks he's being followed,sees people that aren't there,hears things,etc.

He goes into a "meth psychosis" from the amount he ingests.When it wears off he seems completely fine.It's very bizarre and even scary sometimes.

I'm not saying that's what's going on with your brothers significant other,just saying that's what it made me think of.Were drug tests given at the hospital?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Oh,btw,welcome.:welcome:

E

Emsflyer84

I'm not sure what it is and wouldn't want to try to guess or try to diagnose.

I think others might say schizophrenia,which it very well could be.But since you said there's been past drug abuse problems the first thing I thought of was meth.

My son says and does the most bizarre things sometimes when he comes over and it's obvious he's been using meth.He gets super paranoid and thinks he's being followed,sees people that aren't there,hears things,etc.

He goes into a "meth psychosis" from the amount he ingests.When it wears off he seems completely fine.It's very bizarre and even scary sometimes.

I'm not saying that's what's going on with your brothers significant other,just saying that's what it made me think of.Were drug tests given at the hospital?
Thanks for the reply! It’s funny you say that. Meth has been tossed around by people around my brother and his girlfriend. In fact during her episodes she sometimes accuses my brother of doing meth. But other say they have both done it before. Good information to have. Thanks!