• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

World is too fast

Y

Yorkshiremare

After being back at work for a couple of weeks after being off with my depression, I am starting to panic after those dreadful feelings of self consciouness, stress, unhappiness and desire to just get home when i try and walk down the main busy high strett to get to my train. I just cannot cope with the fast pace of "modern" life what with emails, text messages, twittering and everyday tasks like food shopping. I feel abnormal that I cannot assosociate myself with anything my work colleagues like doing and feel I have to change the subject when I am asked what will I be doing over the weekend. Fed up of having to lie when I will just be curling up reading my self help books or watching my DVDs. Yes I want adventure but depression holds me back and also stops me making friends with similar hobbies. Am I really too young to talk about gardening instaed of babies? I wish I could just accept who I am and enjoy my life.

E

Emmy

We are all different and we all like different things so why not talk about gardening or yourself help books? People wouldn't ask what you are doing with your life if they weren't interested.
So many people these days suffer from depression and I am sure some of your colleagues will have experienced depression of some type in their past or will know someone who does. By opening up to them about your own feelings on the subject you are giving them the opportunity to talk about there own feelings on the subject.

You know I am sure some of your colleagues will also embellish what they get up to at weekends and believe me if they have young families and also work all week they may actually envy you the time you have to relax and do what you want. Not many couples with young children get time to curl up with a good book on an evening.

So please don't think nobody is interested in you or what you do. Be honest, be youself. We all have something to offer to this life and you are no different.

I for one envy you your green fingers. I seem to kill off most things in my garden or seeds I buy never quite turn out like the ones on the front of the packets! You actually have a talent if you can look after your own garden & it is one you should be proud of not hide away.
:grouphug:

D

duncanw

Although I like kids, was one myself once, isn't it a bit narrow minded of people to keep talking about kids and nothing else. I have been known to check out one or two dating sites and some of the girls have only put photos of their kids online and none of themselves!!!! Not everyone wants kids or wants to talk about them day in day out, come on, your kids might be fantastic but open your eyes and broaden your horizons. As far as gardening is concerned, it's a great passion to have, I'm into one or two other things at present but if I won the lottery I would love to have a very large greenhouse and grown all of my own fruit and vegetables, would also have some chickens too, only for their eggs though and not to eat.

As Emmy said, we are all different, life would be very boring otherwise, sounds like your work colleagues are pretty mundane though, no wonder you seem to have little in common, how do you manage to hide the yawns when they're talking then? ;) No point in contributing to the conversation if all they talk about is pure tosh. :)

Y

Yorkshiremare

Thanks for your replies and I know you are both correct when you say we are all different. I am getting better about excepting my life is the way that it is and just have to focus more on positive thoughts when I am in one of my moments of feeling lonely and unhappy with my life.

D

duncanw

Thanks for your replies and I know you are both correct when you say we are all different. I am getting better about excepting my life is the way that it is and just have to focus more on positive thoughts when I am in one of my moments of feeling lonely and unhappy with my life.
Any thoughts on what you would like be doing with your life? Please don't just accept your life the way it is, there are so many things that you could do to bring a bit more meaning and joy in your life. Doing things, small things, breeds confidence. :)

Y

Yorkshiremare

I think that is why I suffer from depression because I my life has not turned out the way I probably thought it would. By now I thought I would be happily married possibly with children - living in a family house and in a job allowing me to buy the things in life which I desire. However, i know I should be very happy that I am only 35, have a stable job which allows me to rent a flat by the cpast and no commitements to anyone. I just need to be more confident and go and meet some new people and start to enjoy things I may not have tried before and not worry about the future.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Its not easy to think like that and I guess no one expects you to. I guess I thought my life would be much different too - I guess maybe thats why we are here and others are out doing other things like on a different social networking site. I guess also though - others peoples lifes just sometimes sound nicer, more exciting different - but it doesn;t mean they are!
Take Care
KS