• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Workshops ?!

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Have any of you been on them ?
How do you rate them ?
Did they help you ?

I ask as my therapist has mentioned them to me and he his looking into them .

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I went to a couple a few years back but sadly it did nothing for me as I found the venue a bit intimidating but, what don't work for one works for someone else, give it a try and good luck

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Thank you for your reply Mad Hatter , yes i will give them a go and see what i think :)

Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
I guess (but don't know) that a workshop is an event where the people there have to actually think together and do things apart from just listening to the person who is running it.
I've been on an anti-anxiety workshop and another on self-esteem (positive that is!). The anti-anx one led me to think that more of what I experience is anxiety than I had thought which I suppose had a goodish result because I could then use the tools I had to help deal with those things.
The self-esteem one was led by a very hearty psychologist who believes in hope. I found the contrast between what he was saying and asking us to do, and my usual mindset rather uncomfortable. Also J (husband) is his patient which doesn't help me. He had an analogy of a bucket rather than a glass half full or half empty but as he said some peoples buckets had lids on so that they couldn't receive anything positive and some people's had holes in so that anything good ran out. Also he had a small book to sell. One thing he got us to do was to write good things about the others, most of whom most of us had never met before, to keep in a file of good things people have said about or done for us. I found that rather false. All that said I think that the day ended up being more good than otherwise.
What's usually the most useful thing to come from these workshops is hearing about other people's experience and what they have tried to help themselves.

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
i have done an anxiety management group. i was mostly far too anxious to speak tho :unsure:

it did help in another respect tho, because i had to get two buses to get there and back so it helped me overcome that particular anxiety .

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was like you sandybob when i did the anxiety one. It lasted for 6 weeks and other were talking of there probs and i was so anxious i couldnt open my mouth until the last week.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Well it took 3 working day's for my therapist to sort one workshop out :D......... ( amazing for the MHT here ).

Got a call late afternoon yesturday about a leisure activity .......... pottery.

So if i can manage it i'm going to college today ( early evening ) to see what i think :)

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
Well it took 3 working day's for my therapist to sort one workshop out :D......... ( amazing for the MHT here ).

Got a call late afternoon yesturday about a leisure activity .......... pottery.

So if i can manage it i'm going to college today ( early evening ) to see what i think :)

WOW!! pottery sounds cool (do you get patrick swayze without his top on to help you ?? ) ;):D

fast sort out time too .. (y)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
:LOL: sandybob ....... i wish , i might of liked it and stayed then.
As it happens it wasn't for me !

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Been to an arts and crafts one this afternoon.
:) I liked it :) So will be going each week after half term.

The tutuor and the members in the group were lovely , so i'm actually looking forward to it a week on Monday :D

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I forgot to mention, I work (permitted earnings) as a support worker at a bicycle maintenance workshop for people with MH probs. It is absolutely a fantastic project, the people love coming and many see it as actual work doing up donated bikes to sell on. UNFORTUNATELY, due to the fools that make the decisions, people can only come in twice a week when they want to come in more, it's linked into a college so its not open 12 months of the year, and thee seem to be more rules and regulations that is really needed. Next week it will be taken over by a company in the private sector but it looks like a case of meet the new boss, same as the old boss!!!! But, only time will tell.

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
permitted work

Just wondered if anyone has heard of the Work Prep scheme run through Job Centre Plus?

This programme offers an individualised programme to allow unwell people get real life work expereince.

unfortunately it is unpaid unless you are offered employment by your placement but you get to keep all your benefits and get travel costs.

The programme usually last 6 weeks and you can agree how many days/hours you want to attend. If the Work prep provider is good you should by the end of the programme have a good understanding of your capabilities within a supported working environment.

Only link into this scheme is through the Disability employment advisor at the job centre. by going along to have a chat with a DEA you are not stating you are fit to work only asking if it is possible to give it a go as a volunteer. participation is voluntary and you can leave scheme without giving any explanations etc.
Sorry got a bit long winded but if anyone wants to find out more PM please or visit job centre plus web site

Anne:)

D

Dollit

Expert Patients

Has anybody been on an Expert Patients Programme? I was supposed to do one about 4 years ago and when I got there I was the only person with a severe mental health problem and the rest had physical problems. We talked about depression for 5 minutes in week 4. I actually took it up with the PCT that it wasn't appropriate and that people with mental health problems needed separate programmes. I was told that the mentally ill are very well catered for in Bristol and they would not be reviewing practice. Charming woman.:(

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
You may as well have banged your head up against the wall Dolllit. It seems MH issues are last on any agenda except getting us off benefit. I'm in cynical twisted and bitter mode today I'm afraid.