Workplace Bullying not acceptable !

M

Mix-Tape

wpb.jpg

A whistleblower who complained of a racist and misogynistic culture in a Scottish Government agency claims she was taped to a chair and gagged by two male colleagues.
DeeAnn Fitzpatrick said the restraint took place during years of bullying and harassment at Marine Scotland's Scrabster office.
The fisheries officer has taken her case to an employment tribunal and claims she was taped up as a warning to keep quiet.
The photograph, said to have been taken by one of the two men allegedly responsible, was obtained by BBC Scotland.
Ms Fitzpatrick, 49, a Canadian national, said the incident happened in 2010 as a result of her speaking out about a threatening and misogynistic culture at the quango’s office in Scrabster, on the north coast of Scotland.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Wouldn't you go to the police if that happened, especially if the people at work ignored it? I guess she could have children to support so needed her job.

M

Mix-Tape

Wouldn't you go to the police if that happened, especially if the people at work ignored it? I guess she could have children to support so needed her job.
Yes Helena , if I was in her position I would have gone to the police but the problem is gathering the actual evidence she would need at the time this incident happened , back in 2010 !

But rest assured she can get some justice now that this photograph from the past has come to light.

S

silly me

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Not surprising.. What my concern is also about? How many of these females did they do this to BEFORE she arrived?

I was an intern at a very famous medical university over here in the states. Before I showed up the males from Administration, male interns, residents and the head of radiology took great pride in apparently:

1) Filling the ice tub with ice that is used for highly febrile patients - and picking a nurse every Friday afternoon to throw into the tub to watch her nipples get erect.

2) The male techs took a female cardiology cath student/intern from India, duct taped her mouth, and her hands/feet together and shoved her down a ventilation duct for the weekend. The janitor heard her muffled screams, called the fire dept. They got her out, nothing was done. She never returned..

3) The head tech was also a teacher who was known for bullying the students. I was the first minority woman to show up in that laboratory after 25 years of having no females there - due to their misogynist bullying. And according to their crew? He was the worst..

(cont'd)

S

silly me

ACCOUNT CLOSED
(cont'd)

When i arrived, and stood up for myself, the bullies became cowards. Including the Head Tech, who was so mortified by my ability to tell him where to go? He brought in his wife who was not a student or even belonged to that university to come in and have a talk..

The moment she saw me, she smiled, and backed off.

I was not there to put up with their crap. I was already very well established in the medical field, a lot longer than most of them. Plus i had to pull 40 hour weekends full time at my regular job.

One of the males, who was the smallest - yet called himself a novice bicyclist, decided he had enough of my "standing up for myself" - and physically tried to tackle me in the laboratory during a patient examination. I do not look any where near my weight - #175 of lean muscle, underneath over sized scrubs.

He, and others ASSumed i was just this slightly built female with no substance..:(

It was dark in that lab due to filming the exam. When he charged, i barely saw him out of my peripheral vision, and turned to retrieve a cine cartridge.. He ran smack dab into my right shoulder - bounced off, hit the floor, landed on his rear-end, and slid backwards for a few feet.

When i looked down, all i could see was his mouth and bulging eyes.. :eek:

Everyone - all males, were so shocked. I looked down at him, walked past him, replaced the cine cartridge, and stepped behind the console to finish observing the procedure. No one said a word.

He was so embarrassed, and humiliated he jumped up and ran out of the lab and basically whined to the supervisor that 'no one in the lab likes her."

I casually walked up with my mentor and asked: Are you sure, it's NO ONE, or is it that YOU just don't like me because you got knocked on your as**??

The supervisor listened to what happened via my mentor who couldn't stop laughing while telling the story which infuriated that male-tech even more.

Needless to say, i was not the "ideal student" for the rest of the guys who felt "bullying" was their absolute right and duty. So i was given an "accelerated" graduation from that university. Everyone else was supposed to be there for 2 years? I was hastily given a certificate in that specialty in 9 months..

Last edited:
S

silly me

ACCOUNT CLOSED
All i can say, is "Thank goodness for that photo" as well..

I don't know the laws and jurisdictions of the work place over in the UK, but i hope this goes "viral" world-wide..

Seachad

Seachad

The problem with workplace harassment and discrimination is that, even though it's illegal, it can be difficult if not impossible to prove. I belong to a religious minority in the US. I worked in a nursing home, years ago, in an administrative capacity. My boss was a Christian fundamentalist, who didn't approve of my religion. Shortly after my religious affiliation became known in the facility, I was demoted back from doing personnel / payroll to my old job doing medical records on graveyard shift. They hadn't hired anyone for the position, so I had six months of backlogged medical records to catch-up on. (This was back in the days of paper charts. They were massively out of compliance with federal regs, by letting them go for so long, but they didn't really care.) Not too long after that, I was again demoted, to on-call status, losing not only my income, but my medical insurance as well. I was advised, smugly, that I'd never, ever, be called in, but that they'd done so in order to prevent me from drawing unemployment benefits off of them as I was still -- technically -- employed. My former boss went around boasting that she'd gotten rid of the "Devil worshiper" (Note: I'm not, nor have i ever been a Satanist,) and told everyone that I'd 'cursed' her, exacerbating a physical injury she'd already had.

Religious discrimination lawsuit? Heh. I asked the people who told me about her boasting if they'd testify. Oh hell no. They weren't stupid enough to jeopardize their jobs. Soon as they agreed, there'd suddenly be all sorts of forged paperwork documenting 'complaints' against them, just as there'd been with me, suddenly appearing in their personnel files. Then they'd be fired for cause. Or simply demoted to 'on-call' status, as I'd been.

Joke was on the nursing home, though. First of all, I'd worked personnel and payroll. I knew dammed well that I could file for unemployment. So I did. Three months later, they appealed and tried to screw me into paying it all back. Because, yes, they were that petty. (And, y'know, I wasn't fundamentalist Christian, so I deserved to be 'punished' for being 'evil' (i.e. Not fundie. or Christian.) Not only did they lose that appeal, they were sanctioned and fined for falsely appealing.

The best part, though, was that the day they fired me technically without firing me? (I.e. demoted me to on-call and told me they'd never be calling me?) The head of the facility and his No 2 person left for a conference at the other end of the country. (He said he'd saved firing me as a special treat before leaving, just to start his day off right. (He'd ordered me to forge physician's signatures on patient's charts, previously. I told him no, and when he threatened to fire me, then, I told him I'd need an order in writing.)) Two hours after their plane took off, the state Department of Public Health came in, acting on the complaint I'd filed with them, documenting all the violations that were being covered-up at the place, and that the regular state inspectors had been bribed to ignore. They went through that place like salts through a goose. Six million in fines and new construction costs. Plus I got my unemployment, and two extensions to it, as well. And they got sanctioned for trying to screw me with the false appeal.

They say Karma's a b*tch. Sometimes she's an absolute dear....

But try to prove workplace harassment? Or religious discrimination? If nobody in the facility's willing to testify for fear of losing their own job? Forget it. (And think before you condemn them for not being willing to testify. They likely have bills to pay and a family to feed. If they lose that job and get blackballed in their industry, how are they going to feed their kids? You say it's illegal to give bad references to prospective employers? Oh, honey...I used to work personnel. Have I got news for you....)

R

Riley1982

I hate all bullying I was getting bullied the employee would rant and rave at me. When I reported it the company would do nothing.
I started standing up to him and he started intimidating he had a fight with 2 guys then he tried to push me into a fight I left in the end.