• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

working in mental health system

J

jo1261

if i have been a patient in a psychiatric hospital, are there any limitations on me gaining qualifications and employment as a psychiatric nurse or medical psychiatrist?

H

Happychappy

:clap:
I lost a job once, when my employer found out I had bipolar, I had been promoted a month prior. So I would recommend finding out in a safe way ?

I once read the head of one of the UKs biggest companies, has bipolar (as does the worlds greatest snooker player) - so anythings possible.
Go for it.

S

*Sapphire*

I think it depends on the individual Jo. One of my friends was on a section for a year and managed to get their psychiatric nurse qualification. I believe you may have to be symptom free for a few years, but as I said I think it depends on the individual. They are careful about it though, because it can be a very stressful job and of course you may be exposed to some situations that may be 'triggering'. I would ask the college/uni you are thinking of joining and see what they say.
One of my other friends was in a psychiatric unit again for a year, and in residential care for persons with mental health issues following, and again, they are now working as a support worker of a residential care home for persons with MH isssues.

J

jo1261

thanks for replies and rating. so could i say on the application form that my time as a patient in the hospital is valuable experience when i apply for a job as a psychiatrist in the same hospital?
:)

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Wouldn't it have more to do with your recovery than your illness? Can you prove you are not a threat/harm to someone else with mental health issues?
Sympathy and kindredspiritness is one thing, but trust is key.
I'm sorry if I sound arrogant...it's just my way of speaking.
:flowers:

T

TabbyToes

I should imagine it's a combination of what your mental health issues were (that led you being admitted) and your recovery.

You should be able to contact some places ~ RCN or something like the GMC (can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head) and speak to them.

dib4uk

dib4uk

if i have been a patient in a psychiatric hospital, are there any limitations on me gaining qualifications and employment as a psychiatric nurse or medical psychiatrist?

There shouldnt be, but, if thats what you want to do and you think that you can cope with the demands of say being a pycho-therapist then see how you would go about doing that. To be a qualified counsellor you need to be in therapy yourself and you must be free from all mental health problems.

The only problem might be if you want to be a psychiatrist..but then again i think that depends on your own problems and the reasons why you was in hospital for... I might be wrong but you need to either search around or pop into you local advice centre that helps you with jobs etc and training.

:tea:

M

maudikie

To jo 1261.

Proably not. but I should take medical advice, as it is a stressful job, though your own experience can bring help to the patients. I would suggest that if you apply youlet it be known that you have personal experience of the condition.:) Good luck