• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

working in mental health system

J

jo1261

if i have been a patient in a psychiatric hospital, are there any limitations on me gaining qualifications and employment as a psychiatric nurse or medical psychiatrist?

H

Happychappy

:clap:
I lost a job once, when my employer found out I had bipolar, I had been promoted a month prior. So I would recommend finding out in a safe way ?

I once read the head of one of the UKs biggest companies, has bipolar (as does the worlds greatest snooker player) - so anythings possible.
Go for it.

S

*Sapphire*

I think it depends on the individual Jo. One of my friends was on a section for a year and managed to get their psychiatric nurse qualification. I believe you may have to be symptom free for a few years, but as I said I think it depends on the individual. They are careful about it though, because it can be a very stressful job and of course you may be exposed to some situations that may be 'triggering'. I would ask the college/uni you are thinking of joining and see what they say.
One of my other friends was in a psychiatric unit again for a year, and in residential care for persons with mental health issues following, and again, they are now working as a support worker of a residential care home for persons with MH isssues.

J

jo1261

thanks for replies and rating. so could i say on the application form that my time as a patient in the hospital is valuable experience when i apply for a job as a psychiatrist in the same hospital?
:)

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Wouldn't it have more to do with your recovery than your illness? Can you prove you are not a threat/harm to someone else with mental health issues?
Sympathy and kindredspiritness is one thing, but trust is key.
I'm sorry if I sound arrogant...it's just my way of speaking.
:flowers:

T

TabbyToes

I should imagine it's a combination of what your mental health issues were (that led you being admitted) and your recovery.

You should be able to contact some places ~ RCN or something like the GMC (can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head) and speak to them.

dib4uk

dib4uk

if i have been a patient in a psychiatric hospital, are there any limitations on me gaining qualifications and employment as a psychiatric nurse or medical psychiatrist?

There shouldnt be, but, if thats what you want to do and you think that you can cope with the demands of say being a pycho-therapist then see how you would go about doing that. To be a qualified counsellor you need to be in therapy yourself and you must be free from all mental health problems.

The only problem might be if you want to be a psychiatrist..but then again i think that depends on your own problems and the reasons why you was in hospital for... I might be wrong but you need to either search around or pop into you local advice centre that helps you with jobs etc and training.

:tea:

M

maudikie

To jo 1261.

Proably not. but I should take medical advice, as it is a stressful job, though your own experience can bring help to the patients. I would suggest that if you apply youlet it be known that you have personal experience of the condition.:) Good luck