• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Working holiday visa to Canada

C

cornemuse

Hello. I am new here:)
I am a Japanese citizen and I have a working holiday visa to Canada. Today, I talked to my psychiatrist about it and he said that it is risky because there will not be anybody who can see the difference in my daily life. He mentioned it is difficult for schizophrenics to recognize the onset of relapse on their own.

I am disappointed to hear that.. I feel like I am trapped and imprisoned , being unable to do what I want to do because of my illness.

So I 'd like to ask if there is anybody who works abroad or lives abroad all alone. I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice on this...

Thanks,

cornemuse

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hi Cornemuse,
Welcome to the forum and sorry you've not had a reply yet.
I don't have schizophrenia, so I can't fully appreciate the difficulties you might face living alone in a new country.
I think it is sensible to listen to your psychiatrist and understand that it is his job to point out any risks - however, it sounds like he isn't totally against you going?
Do you think it possible to get support once you are in Canada? I'm not sure how their health services run, but perhaps if you met with some health worker every now and then, they may be able to support you?
It's just a thought.
Don't give up on your dream. I'm sure you can get there eventually, but I do think that it's wise to plan ahead in what might happen if you were to become unwell.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Schizophrenia Forum 0