• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Working for yourself/working from home

P

Phoenix76

Have you ever considered retraining so you can work from home? I find my social anxiety and stress levels are so much better when I am in control. Working for someone else, especially when I have colleagues and am trapped in a building (a shop, warehouse, etc), makes everything harder. Someone I know recently said to me "I'd never work for someone else again. Thanks to the internet, there is no need. Nowadays, you can create your own job and anyone can set up their own business."

Is he right? I know several people who've retrained in things and now either work from home or work for themselves. I'm sure my mental health would improve if I could do it. When I feel in control, I'm so much more confident. Have you ever considered this? Do you know anyone else who has tried? The problem is I don't really know what I could do. I have an MA in literature and psychoanaylsis, but very little work experience. Also, I'm now in my 40s. Thanks to mental illness I've only ever done badly paid retail or delivery jobs, interspersed with periods of unemployment and depression.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
If you start small, not expecting much profit, if any, alongside benefits if you get them, it might progress in to something that could support you. I think i would always want a 'day job', part time, for security. It is not easy to make money yourself though.

Topcat

Topcat

I was looking at copywriting a while back, apparently there's a demand.

K

Keesha

Yes he is right; you can do it. You’ve got the motivation, the ambition, the intelligence and the education. If you’ve got mental health disorders holding you back and have all of the above, you’ve got this. It’s what I did for the very same reasons. It will be the best decision you ever made in your life. ( in my opinion )

P

Phoenix76

I was looking at copywriting a while back, apparently there's a demand.
Yes, this is something I've considered. I don't know where you live Topcat (I'm in the UK - England), but there is a society in London that offers a reputable course in copywriting and proofreading. You can do it online or by post. Most people who do this seem to combine it with freelance writing. Apparently, it's very difficult to get clients though, as people tend to stick with tried and tested copywriters.

A few other things I've considered:

1) Retraining in a trade (plumber, locksmith, etc) and working a sole trader.
2) Freelance writer
3) Freelance proofreader and copywriter
4) Home-based, self-employed recruitment consultant
5) Home-based, self-employed mortgage adviser
6) Home-based, self-employed travel agent
7) Retrain and then be a self-employed, home-based sports massage and injury therapist

You can do online courses in being a mortgage adviser, recruitment consultant or travel agent. And I believe you can then do them from home on a laptop, though I may be over-optimistic! I'm sure there must be other things. I'm prepared to consider anything that means I don't have to work in an office, shop or warehouse, don't have to hand in a CV or go for an interview, etc. My CV has vast blanks on it, and explaining those HUGE gaps to an employer is torture.

Topcat

Topcat

Yes I'm in the UK too. I looked into doing a massage course last year, although the way this year's gone with covid it's probably good I hadn't done it.

K

Keesha

What do you do Keesha, if you don't mind me asking?
Well I don’t have your intelligence. My main goal was to get out of the city but I became a certified nutritionist and at first worked as a cook for two opera singers in an old Victorian home with gardens and acres of rolling hills. They had an old fashion kitchen wood stove for cooking. It was soothing to the soul.

Later I created my own gluten free baked goods and supplied various health food stores , bulk stores and Hospital for sick children.
It was actually really rewarding since I had personal customers I had also whom I really got to know on a personal level and ALL the work I did as a nutritionist, I did voluntarily as a way to give back.

It’s something I don’t regret at all. The difference to my mental well being was like being on another planet. ( good )

P

Phoenix76

Yes I'm in the UK too. I looked into doing a massage course last year, although the way this year's gone with covid it's probably good I hadn't done it.
Too true!! God, yeah, can you imagine investing all that time and money in retraining and then, just as you decide to go for it, the pandemic hits:cry:

I knew someone who left her job and retrained as a sports and massage therapist. I can't remember why she did so – it may have been because of her kids. Anyway, she told me she was up to her neck in bookings and could easily have done it full-time, but she wanted to go back to her old job. I also thought about retraining as a physio, but that takes three years, and you pretty much have to do a degree. I'm 43 now and don't have the time (or money) for that.

P

Phoenix76

Well I don’t have your intelligence.
Sweet of you to write that Keesha, but I'm really not that bright. I was good at one thing - literature. Other than that I'm a bit of a div. My maths are barely GCSE level! (Which rules out anything like bookkeeping or accounting.) As for technology, I'm so hopeless it's a miracle I can even navigate my way through this forum.

My main goal was to get out of the city but I became a certified nutritionist
Ah, that's interesting. I jotted down nutritionist, but wasn't really sure what kind of work it would involve. It's not really something you can do from home is it?

K

Keesha

Ok but you seem to have all the qualities needed to succeed and it isn’t only about intelligence. It’s everything combined that creates your drive and determination and from what you’ve written so far and the list you’ve given, I’m sure there are several of those options you could successfully do which at first as part time work. From there you could pick out which one you enjoy the most and from there start a new career. Being a self employed nutritionist working from home is probably a lot more difficult; yes.

The thing is that once you find something you absolutely LOVE to do and you have that drive and determination, the sky’s the limit.

D

Deleted member 95368

Well I don’t have your intelligence. My main goal was to get out of the city but I became a certified nutritionist and at first worked as a cook for two opera singers in an old Victorian home with gardens and acres of rolling hills. They had an old fashion kitchen wood stove for cooking. It was soothing to the soul.

Later I created my own gluten free baked goods and supplied various health food stores , bulk stores and Hospital for sick children.
It was actually really rewarding since I had personal customers I had also whom I really got to know on a personal level and ALL the work I did as a nutritionist, I did voluntarily as a way to give back.

It’s something I don’t regret at all. The difference to my mental well being was like being on another planet. ( good )
A very uplifting, encouraging account.
Well done!

manicmonday

manicmonday

I'm looking into starting my own business next year as I don't think I'll be able to cope with the stress of a job and being bipolar. I'm hoping to open a second hand book shop, if I can find a cheap enough property to rent.

R

rawlinsc

I tutor at a college and also tutor at a tutoring center for children. Some of the students from my college want private tutoring for winter session. I hope I can set something up for them. On a side note my dream is go to back to school to become a professor but I can't afford it now.

S

squizofrenia123

I work online as a teacher and am also looking into translation work.