• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Working and studying

ipanema

ipanema

So I have this plan to move to another country next year - I have already started learning the language and it has been pretty intensive (about 15h/week + studying and homework).

But I still need to work because I just graduated and want to get some experience. I got offered a job working everyday (Mornings and Afternoons) and Afternoons only the days I had lessons. I would have little free time, and the one I had would to study.

My question is - isn’t it too much to handle? I don’t get many job offers of part time, and some of them are for only 1 day a week (which doesn’t give me the enough experience or money). In the last month I have felt the more free time I have, the more I overthink things. So filling the whole time with work could be a solution.
Also - I have never worked. I don’t know if I can handle it properly or if I’ll get too tired.

What are your thoughts?

A

Am33

I think you will do great at your new job. Wishing you victory !

T

treasurebox

It is always good to have a work. You just need to manage your time well. You need to take a break or a rest when you need too. Believe that you can do your job and learn the new language at the same time. Know that your studying schedule is not forever. So you will have more time for yourself in the future. Enjoy your work.

Z

Zoe1

I don't think work is always the right thing
when recovering from mental health or stress disorers
I have had to put my recovery first
going to meetings and building friendships
plus I have an addict brother to attend to sometimes

if I tried to push myself into work
it would make me very ill

M

Mistral

If your language classes are in the afternoon, then you will probably have to get a part time job in the evenings. Is that an option?

ipanema

ipanema

I don't think work is always the right thing
when recovering from mental health or stress disorers
I have had to put my recovery first
going to meetings and building friendships
plus I have an addict brother to attend to sometimes

if I tried to push myself into work
it would make me very ill
I really need to work because my work requires practise and I really need the experience. The stress is def the main problem. I’m not working yet, just getting to know the place and watch others work.

ipanema

ipanema

If your language classes are in the afternoon, then you will probably have to get a part time job in the evenings. Is that an option?
The classes are in the morning (8am to 1pm), the job starts at 2pm until 7pm. It also has a morning schedule, but I decided to save those 2 mornings without classes to study and relax.
The problem is they are looking for a full time job and someone who can work for them for a long term. I can’t do it, because I really want to move abroad ASAP.

M

Mistral

The classes are in the morning (8am to 1pm), the job starts at 2pm until 7pm. It also has a morning schedule, but I decided to save those 2 mornings without classes to study and relax.
The problem is they are looking for a full time job and someone who can work for them for a long term. I can’t do it, because I really want to move abroad ASAP.
Nobody will advise you on whether you should take this job. It is a risk and only you can make that call. It could work out brilliantly or it could result in damaging your prospects for the future.

How long do you think it will be until you become fluent in the language you are learning? It could take a lot longer than a year by just taking an academic course. You may also need online tutoring or living with native speakers for several months.

ipanema

ipanema

Nobody will advise you on whether you should take this job. It is a risk and only you can make that call. It could work out brilliantly or it could result in damaging your prospects for the future.

How long do you think it will be until you become fluent in the language you are learning? It could take a lot longer than a year by just taking an academic course. You may also need online tutoring or living with native speakers for several months.
It is an intensive course meant to teach me the language for a period of 600hours (about 9 months) - it is really a challenge, but I’m feeling good about it.
I need the job, I just don’t know how I should manage the time - if I should only work afternoons or also in the mornings I don’t have language classes.
I just changed my medication so I’m hoping I’ll feel better.

M

Mistral

I have not taken medication for a while, but I know that they all have side effects. I would consult the prescribing doctor.