• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Working and Mental Illness

R

RubyAnn

Can you work when you are suffering from a mental illness....??????

I have always worked, but I am finding it more and more difficult at the moment.... don't get me wrong i do not want to give up work so I can just sit around and do nothing all day, i'm not lazy....

The only way I can explain it is that I am completely exhausted and i just don't feel physically able to work....

Does anyone have this problem?

RubyAnn

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I can totally sympathise with you .......... i hated giving my job up but i had to , my mind ,my body just couldn't do it anymore. I went on the sick for 3 mths........ my work fully supported me they were brilliant. I went back on a graded back to work , just doing morning's as come the afternoon i needed to sleep . It last for 6 weeks , i then went back fulltime ........... that lasted 3 mths . I am unable to work at the moment :(

Going back to work was my goal ................ but now it frightens me to think about working as i know i'm not mentally or physically stable enough .

R

RubyAnn

That is exactly how I feel... I just don't feel stable at all.... I was signed off for 7weeks from nov last year til jan this year and work made me feel like I had to go back....
My supervisor text me earlier letting me know exactly what we was doing tonight and he said not to worry everything will be ok... but i just feel sick... i don't want to go in :cry:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Don't go in .............. think of you not them .
They are not going through what you are ............ takecare of you in the here and now. Don't worry about them .
IMO ........... it's sounds like you need to see your gp & be signed off again.

Go be brave , do something for you .......... ring work & tell them your not fit enough to go in.

:hug:

R

RubyAnn

I am soo worried that i will be sacked... I know that should be the very very last thing on my mind but i cant help thinking it.... i am soo messed up at the moment but my natural instinct is to just carry on and ignore whatever is going on inside my head

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi RubyAnn - I may be wrong but I don't think that they can sack you for being sick... (as long as you have sick notes) isn't it more like redundancy due to ill health? If so there is a process that your work would have to go through and you would be made aware of it all with good notice. Are you in a union? If not it might be worth contacting someone like your local MIND group to see what your position really is. Thinking like this will just make you more stressed.

I've been off work for heading towards two years now but am lucky that my company are holding my position open for me (though for how much longer I don't know). I mentioned the possibility of redundancy to one of the workers at my local resource centre and she said that I had a lot of things going for me and that I had moved on from this old job anyway which kind of gave it all a new and nice perspective.

I guess even though we all have an illness it is easy to forget that we do still move on from where we once were developing new skills and interests as we go and that this can have a positive impact upon our future employment (paid and/or unpaid) - eg., I'd never used the internet for joining a forum before I got ill, or written a blog for that matter! From the people in this forum there are several who I'm sure would say that their lives are now richer because of their experiences of their illness.

None of us want to be ill but when we come out of the other end (if indeed there is an end?!) we are different people and have different things to offer.

Sorry - bit of a ramble there, but I hope what I'm saying is clearish? Yell at me if it's not.

Take care,
Honey xx

R

RubyAnn

Hello Honey

Yes that was clear... I am just gettin myself stressed out because I know i cant work, but if i get signed off i know i will just want to stay in bed all day.

Ruby Ann

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello Honey

Yes that was clear... I am just gettin myself stressed out because I know i cant work, but if i get signed off i know i will just want to stay in bed all day.

Ruby Ann
If you need to lay in bed all day , so be it . Listen to your body .

M

Michael

Founding Member
Rubyann
Beautiful name it seems to signify a bright shining light, I work and have done throughout. I have had many dark days, nowadays they are not as dark but still there. If you feel you can work then do it, if you feel you need time off talk about it with your doctor or whoever, just do not bottle it up inside, thats what I did and believe me it does you no favours whatsoever!
Be true to yourself, without being soft on yourself, it hurts like hell at times but in retrospect has made me have that painful realisation about life, some of my colleagues have struggled with me, even my wife has struggled with me, but in the end it has nudged me closer to being stronger.

This is not advice, it is something that has worked for me, what you do is up to you, be aware no matter what path you choose we shall be here with support.

Michael

R

RubyAnn

Thank u for your kind words

RubyAnn

R

RubyAnn

Oh well.....

.....it is too late to call in sick now.... so i shall just get all my strength together to get through tonight and see what the doctor says tomorrow

RubyAnn

Aahbut

Aahbut

Rubyann, I did EXACTLY what you are talking about, I worked my butt off because I was scared I would lose my job. What I almost lost was my mind and my employer couldn't pay me statuary sick pay fast enough. Shows you how important some employers see us isn't it. Yet the stupid thing is my employer is keeping my job open, three years now. He doesn't have to pay me or anything, so I guess he is too damned idle to send me my P45. All this has put things in to perspective for me. My health is far more important than any job. And he cannot sack you if you are sick and have sick notes. He can make you redundant or retire you on health grounds, but I gather that is a bit of a fiddle for them.

Do yourself a favour and as someone else pointed out, listen to your body. You cannot work while your mind is fighting you. You are ill, rest and think of yourself.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Well said Aahbut!

Definitely, if your body says sleep - go with it. The longer you fight it the more difficult it can be to recover.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Well said Aahbut ............. i did the same , my full time job , a weekend job & then my voluntry work .

Yep Honey , the longer you fight the worse it gets ........... i know too well . I often think if i listened earlier to my body i wouldn't be where i'm at today !

Last edited:
intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
My goal is to get back to work and quick but it is difficult remebering that Mh problems are an illness and people need to be gentle on you they would not expect someone with diabetes to be 100% every day or even people without an health problems as we all feel 'off colour' from time to time!