Workaholic or just hiding from voices

fazza

fazza

I have decided that I am once again becoming a workaholic. During the past few months I have steadily upped my hours from just a few hours to 92 last week. I work for a friend of mine. I have always been a bit of a workaholic and by doing so I feel I have been hiding/ignoring/denying my symptoms.

I have been all around the country working and I have just realised that I am worn out. My phone is constantly ringing with jobs. Part of me loves the thrill of a challenge but I realise that this comes with a cost.

I was supposed to be off today but got a phone call at 0800 asking me to come in so I did.

Enough is enough. I have hardly seen my family/ children. I have realised that I have become irritable and snappy.

Time for a rethink. I have cancelled this weeks work and I am stepping back from work before it makes me ill again.

When I am working I forget that I have an illness or maybe I just deny it. I have stopped taking meds due to the sedative effects but I am restarting tonight.

Its a bugger but I concede that "I have schizophrenia" I am tired.

H

HeroToZero

Man.. What a damn warrior you are.

Kick that illnesses ass. I pray you find exactly what you seek.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi fazza no one should be working 92hours do you think you were becoming manic. I know when I was working and I didn’t realise I was becoming manic I was working 12 hours a day when I was only supposed to work 6 and barely sleeping. I was thinking about your medication and remembered you were coming off then , when I got to the end of your post saying you were about to restart. I think that sounds a good idea.
I think it would be good for you and your family to cut down on hours but it also show you have insight to your illness that you can see that things are changing.
All the best
Daf

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I find a routine helps me to manage life the best and be the most stable. Instead of bouncing back and forth between working too many hours and then not working, can you just work a certain amount each week that is not too much or not too little, and stay with that for awhile? I find that I get worse if I work too much, but I also get worse if I work too little. Just the right amount of staying busy keeps me remain the most stable.

fazza

fazza

I went to work on Friday at 15.00. I came home on sunday evening at 18.00. Its the home life I miss too. As soon as I am home I get a phone call to go back. Plus I never know where in the country I am going to be. It is just starting to take its toll. I am constantly tired moody and fed up.

When I started it was fun it was just a few hours a week. Now it is too much.
I work for a new/small logistics company. The owner is more of a friend than a boss. His work ethic is work work work. He feels it is the best treatment plan for any illness.

fazza

fazza

Hi fazza no one should be working 92hours do you think you were becoming manic. I know when I was working and I didn’t realise I was becoming manic I was working 12 hours a day when
All the best
Daf
Possibly as I have not been taking my lithium. It is so hard to tell. Usually I crash after a manic period and at that time I realise that I have been High. I feel good but tired. I like a challenge and love seeing a job done. I tend to work late on projects in order to get them done.

But the cost is huge when it comes to health.