• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Work Struggles

S

Stripey

Founding Member
hi Everyone

i've not really posted for a while. I've been, i wouldn't say stable but more coping for the last few months. I went on fluoxetine (anti-depressant) which has gone some way towards helping my energy levels.

Anyway, i'm struggling at the moment with my career. I'd been unhappy in my job (bored, frustrated) for a while and had been looking for other jobs. I woke up one morning and wrote my letter of resignation and handed it in. I didn't have another job to go to or any hopes of another job, i just very rashly decided enough was enough.

I've now left that job and after about a month got another job which i started last week. However with this one, i went in for two days and then just did not show-up. I phoned once to speak to my boss but he wasn't there and i haven't contacted them since, they have been phoning me but i've not been answering. Yesterday i wrote a letter just apologising for being so unprofessional and saying i didn't want the job.

But i'm just so ashamed of myself. I had to keep goin at that job because i don't have any money, but at the same time i knew the job wasn't for me.

I've not told my boyfriend i've quit (he's just gona be so annoyed and dissapointed in me) so at the moment i'm pretending to go to work everyday. No one knows at all.

I'm still applying and interviewing for other jobs but i'm getting terrified that my mental health is going to stop me holding a job down. I'm hoping that that job just wasn't for me, but at the same time it was a good job that at least paid a wage!

Any thoughts appreciated
Stripey

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I can understand getting to that stage where you just can't face going in again I've been there.I see it as part of the illness that you have.If you have no money then you could get signed off by your GP and then claim employment benefit.I don't know the name of it now its changed as I get incapacity benefit but if you go to direct gov.org you'll find it.
Your health has to come first so get some support from GP/psychiatrist etc and then weigh up if you feel upto job hunting.
Hope it goes well.
KP

HULAHOOP

HULAHOOP

I Know how that feels

Hi
Currently walking round with my resignation in my pocket so know how you feel, whats stopping me, credit crunch and husband............hes just so sensible and I'm so impulsive.

Dont give up on finding another job if that's what you want, but if your not well enough emotionally, sign on and see what benefits you can get.

its a tough call isn't it, I'd like to give it all up tomorrow and go somewhere else, but jobs are few and far between at the moment, so looks like im stuck, the wrong job is so bad for your mental health though, so you take care and do whats right for you.

What keeps me going is KNOWING I AM LEAVING, I just don't know when, that's the hard bit.

good luck

:)

S

Stripey

Founding Member
Hi

Thanks so much for your replies, just having others who understand the situation i'm in helps.

I've still not managed to tell my boyfriend, i do have 2 interviews on the horizon so i am waiting to hear how they go (fingers crossed). If I don't get either of them I know i'm going to have to tell my boyfriend.

I'm praying that when i do get the job i want, i will be able to pull myself together enough to go in every day and give the job the focus it deserves but I guess we'll just have to see.

Thanks again for posting replies, keep them coming.
Stripey

G

grace68

getting back to work?

i am off sick at the moment cos i'm in a depression
i got a new job in feb. i think i was hypomanic when i applied- the job is too much for me-
i keep saying i want to hand my notice in- but everyone keeps saying "you're depressed, wait until you're better" my husband is sure i'll be going back.
it's like, i've been a nurse for 20 years, so everyone just thinks i can keep going at it-
they don't see what people on this thread seem to understand- just how difficult it has been at times, not just when low, but also high, it's been such a struggle. i've had loads of lengthy times off sick, and going back is always a nightmare- more so this time, because it's a new employer, and a job i just can't manage.
so i understand all the posts on here, and thank you all for posting your experiences.

S

sarah40

E.S.A

Hi Stripey

The benefit you need to see about is Employment Support Allowance (E.S.A) its the new version of the old incapacity benefit.
You need to see your GP to be signed on the sick then take the sick note to the jobcenter and ask to see the disability advisor. They will help you sort this benefit out.
While on this they will assess you, you get put into one of two groups either the 'support group' who are people not well enough to be looking for work yet or the 'work group' for those who are not really ill but are not really well enough for work - the old grey area of inbetween. if your in this group they will help you look at what sort of work you should be doing perhaps if your finding you keep leaving jobs your doing the wrong sort of work for your health? This also opens doors to other benefits and advice too and would give you some breathing space with some money coming in till you decide what you want to do

hope this helps - good luck (y)