• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Work related - I have been given a Stage 1 warning for being unwell

blueMandM90

blueMandM90

Wasn't sure where to post this so posting this in other support issues.

I work full time and have been genuinely unwell with sick bug twice and last week full of flu. Because this is three separate times not within a year of first sickness (June 2015) I have been given a Stage 1 warning.

I have never been off work with my anxiety or depression because work helps to be in a routine.

I think it's silly and stupid, what am I meant to say in my meeting next week. Nothing to say when I have been genuinely ill.

Has anyone else had this at there place of work?

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Prove that you were actually ill. I had an employer once that used the Bradford factor and for one girl who was a prolific skiver she even had her medical records accessed by the employer to see if she was for real. Unfortunately you really don't have much of a leg to stand on but it might help to read your employment contract ;)

blueMandM90

blueMandM90

Prove that you were actually ill. I had an employer once that used the Bradford factor and for one girl who was a prolific skiver she even had her medical records accessed by the employer to see if she was for real. Unfortunately you really don't have much of a leg to stand on but it might help to read your employment contract ;)
I see where you are coming from there from the employer side. I don't mind discussing the 3 separate events in the meeting but just felt confused about it. I got sent home both times with the sickness bug. Ah well thanks for bringing me back down to sanity :)

Last edited:
maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Employers are arseholes I'm afraid to say.... Infection control says you can't work with sickness you're right but to punish you for it is ridiculous but that's the way the corporate world turns, shafting all the mere minions.

L

LittleMissHatter

It's a level one warning. These things happen. I don't know how your warning tiers go but if it's the first tier and you aren't planning on being sick again I wouldn't worry.

blueMandM90

blueMandM90

Employers are arseholes I'm afraid to say.... Infection control says you can't work with sickness you're right but to punish you for it is ridiculous but that's the way the corporate world turns, shafting all the mere minions.
Fully agree with you, definitely another way to shaft the minions!

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No one ever plans sickness

L

Lilac

I was given a warning for being well and asking a question.

And they know it because I am meant to get a report to comment on and in nearly 6 months it hasn't arrived. Because they know I was well.

And they think that the job makes people mentally sick so they could have a lot of lawsuits on their hands.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

My daughter-in-law has had several warnings from employers due to sickness absences and has in fact been sacked from one job for taking too much time off for sickness.

I think you need to get a sickness note from your GP every time you are off sick from work for 3 days or more. Yes, I know you are supposed to be able to 'self-certificate' if you are only off work for 5 days (ie. one week) but my experience suggests that employers don't like this arrangement, especially if it used more than once in a short time period.

I do have sympathy with them. If they pay you to work, they need you to be there. It can be difficult for employers to find replacements to fill your role and if they can't, colleagues have to take up the slack. I once taught alongside someone who frequently had two weeks off at a time because he had recurring conjunctivitis. I never doubted his illness but the fact was, when he wasn't there I had to teach half his class as well as my own and even when a supply teacher was employed it disrupted my day and made my working day much harder because I had to tell the supply teacher what to do and where everything was. I got thoroughly pissed off with it, tbh.

My point is, absence from work because you are ill is unavoidable, but I would advise you to seek 'proof' from an outside source such as your GP because then your absence cannot count against you.

My daughter-in-law (who works for the NHS!) is on a stage one warning due to repeated absences for sickness at the moment. She has been told that 'more than another week's absence in the next six months' will result in her progressing to a stage 2 warning.

N

notlobyob

My understanding is that a doctors note (even if you can get one) wouldnt make any difference because it comes down to breach of contract. I would be pleased to be proved wrong though.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

If contracts include conditions when you would be in breach of contract due to sickness absences, well that's a new one on me but I don't disbelieve you. Despite all the advances towards 'equal opportunities' and 'inclusion' and and the rights of the disabled, employers have the upper hand now because it's all about profits for the company/shareholders and therefore about maximising productivity. I do understand that companies can easily fail and yes, as I said, absent employees can cause stress for others but...this isn't the sort of world I want to live in :(

Is it just that there are too many people now - so we can't relate to each other and feel any mutual responsibility or any sense of community or joint enterprise? I dunno. It just depresses me.

N

notlobyob

If contracts include conditions when you would be in breach of contract due to sickness absences, well that's a new one on me but I don't disbelieve you. Despite all the advances towards 'equal opportunities' and 'inclusion' and and the rights of the disabled, employers have the upper hand now because it's all about profits for the company/shareholders and therefore about maximising productivity. I do understand that companies can easily fail and yes, as I said, absent employees can cause stress for others but...this isn't the sort of world I want to live in :(

Is it just that there are too many people now - so we can't relate to each other and feel any mutual responsibility or any sense of community or joint enterprise? I dunno. It just depresses me.
When I left my job and we were discussing pensions the union told me that they did have the option of sacking me because of my illness-I remembered this. If you google -sacked for sickness you will see that I am right.
It is a cruel world. We look back on the post war boom when there was more of a balance between capital and labor, we thought that things would only get better but it seems that it was only a blip.