• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Work is better but mean boss's boss

M

Mav2126

I have now been at work for almost 2 months after being unemployed for a year and half. Was so anxious and scared for the first month. Now my anxiety seems better and I am not as scared. Only trouble I think is my boss's boss. He has no social skills and always seems grumpy and I heard him yell at my boss once. I am afraid of him. I don't know how to act around him. He really makes no effort to form a relationship - he is all work. He is the owner of the company so I have to make an impression on him but its so hard with my self esteem is low. He is very smart and when he talks I have no idea what he is saying so it makes me very confused. Any suggestions on how to handle him?

T

TooMuchPain

Good for you for finding a way back to work! I also took a year and half off work. I went back at the start of covid. It wasn’t easy. I was exhausted for the first few months. I also tend to lock up and not be able to think sometimes and I end up looking (feeling) stupid in front of the boss.
I’m willing to bet that the owner knows he is a difficult person. I can be a difficult person. I promise you it is not intentional. And lots of people take offence to my awkwardness.
My suggestion is to keep up the good work and keep pushing through. Remember to stay on top of your self care. Take this as an opportunity to work on yourself. Don’t worry about things you can’t control right now.

M

Mav2126

Thanks TooMuchPain. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I agree with you about keep pushing forward and try to do the best work I can do.

2Much2Feel

Exactly as TooMuchPain says. Try to not worry about the things you can't control. There will always be difficult bosses. I've not been the best at dealing with many of them, but wish I had handled them better. You will have more respect for yourself if you handle it rather than let it take over as well. Not sure if this is the best advice, but when I worked with attorneys, I'd just play to their egos if they were difficult, as that seemed to put me on their good side :)