Work has suddenly become an issue...

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

So I’ve been in my current position for about a year and a half now and I honestly love it; it’s easily the best job I’ve had and I’m now fully qualified! However things have suddenly changed for reasons I can’t quite explain. I work in administration so it’s a lot of computers, telephones etc. My boss is on holiday at the moment and suddenly my colleagues have turned on me; saying that it’s now my job to empty the bins and clean up the kitchen. I’m fine with doing the bins but I absolutely will not do the kitchen because I never ever use it and I don’t see why I should have to clean up all of their mess. They all seem to be ganging up on me do their dirty work and I really don’t want to put up with it, but I’m afraid I’ll get fired if I stand up for myself. My job role doesn’t involve cleaning of any kind and I’ve not been offered any more money to do so. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading xxx

toutatis

toutatis

Hi @elliepaige20,

Yes, I would not like to be placed in your situation either. It's like these work colleagues of yours are using the fact that your boss is away, to order you around. Very sneaky. In regards to the kitchen that you don't even use, just look 'em in the eye and say 'No, do it yourself. I'm not your slave' and then stand there with good eye contact and await their response. Have your responses figured out beforehand, too, standing your ground.

So, that would be my advice. Takes a bit of courage, though, but that's okay. We have that within ourselves.

toutatis

toutatis

@elliepaige20

Mind you, if that approach feels a bit too black & white, perhaps confrontational, or not even appropriate for your work situation then I'm pretty sure you'll get some better feedback on here, soon.

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

@elliepaige20

Mind you, if that approach feels a bit too black & white, perhaps confrontational, or not even appropriate for your work situation then I'm pretty sure you'll get some better feedback on here, soon.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your response, it means a lot to know that others understand. I’ve told them that I don’t mind doing the bins as in all fairness we all use those, but that I won’t be doing the kitchen because I don’t use it. I feel like I have a pretty compelling argument to make so I’ll just wait and see if anything else is said. It’s mainly just passive aggressive comments directed at me for “not doing anything” when I’m forever on the computer doing my actual job that I’m paid to do. We used to have a cleaner who would be paid to do these things, so I don’t see why they feel like they can make me do it for free? I don’t know, I want to hold my ground on this one because yes the kitchen is gross but I didn’t make it that way 😂 I’ll definitely consider your advice! Thank you so much xxx

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hey :)

Stand up for yourself - it doesn't sound like anyone else will! I think the way you respond varies based on whether you are the most junior employee (in which case it's harder to do so, but still possible if the requests are unreasonable - certainly so for the kitchen!).

If you don't use the kitchen, then why should you clean it up? Sounds like they're taking advantage of your boss not being around. If they ask, simply say, 'I don't use the kitchen, so I won't clean up your mess'.

As for bins, I can understand why you're afraid to standing up if you're the most junior, but who normally does them after the cleaner left? I'd suggest a rota to the others, as I'd assume that everyone uses the bins. If they accept, great! It's not your responsibility to do the bins - if they refuse, simply let your boss know that you created a solution but your colleagues weren't willing to cooperate.

I know being confrontational isn't everyone's cup of tea, but when others attempt to assert themselves to get you to do something unreasonable, you need to be assertive and stand up for yourself x

Much love <3

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

Hey :)

Stand up for yourself - it doesn't sound like anyone else will! I think the way you respond varies based on whether you are the most junior employee (in which case it's harder to do so, but still possible if the requests are unreasonable - certainly so for the kitchen!).

If you don't use the kitchen, then why should you clean it up? Sounds like they're taking advantage of your boss not being around. If they ask, simply say, 'I don't use the kitchen, so I won't clean up your mess'.

As for bins, I can understand why you're afraid to standing up if you're the most junior, but who normally does them after the cleaner left? I'd suggest a rota to the others, as I'd assume that everyone uses the bins. If they accept, great! It's not your responsibility to do the bins - if they refuse, simply let your boss know that you created a solution but your colleagues weren't willing to cooperate.

I know being confrontational isn't everyone's cup of tea, but when others attempt to assert themselves to get you to do something unreasonable, you need to be assertive and stand up for yourself x

Much love <3
Hi there,

Thank you for your advice it's very helpful :) I've decided to stick to my guns and refuse to do the kitchen. As for the bins, seeing as everyone uses those, I do definitely think that a rota situation would be best. We didn't have a cleaner for that long so I have no idea how things were dealt with before, all I know now is that they're putting pressure on me to do it for some reason. I even had a bunch of snide comments this morning about cleaning the kitchen and bathroom floors, which is also a big no for me. I don't see why it's suddenly my job to get on my hands and knees, get all my clothes dirty and waste valuable working time cleaning their floors? So I won't be doing that either (unless they provide me with a mop and bucket that is!). I'm not the most confrontational person, but I've reached a point in my life where I'm sick of people walking all over me and am trying to be more assertive. If it continues I'll definitely speak to my boss once he's back. Thank you for your support xx