• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Work capability assessment anyone ?

S

Sophs50522

Hi all, I've got my work capability assessment on the 5th and they will put me in either the LCW or LCWRA group where I will get the £340 component. I get carers allowance at the moment for caring which will stop obviously if awarded the LCWRA.
I've been told the assessment is like PIP but more intense. Has anyone had anyone luck with this ?
I don't know if I could handle another call like my last one. It made me really ill for a while :low:
Thank you
* sorry if this is posted in wrong forum.

C

creative20

Iv answered on another post Sophs, but i got lucky with a paper assessment, can i ask you if you have had your pip result?

C

creative20

I forgot to say that when the DWP rang me to make a PIP offer they told me that they looked at my WCA assessment forms, I guess i was lucky insofar as I passed my WCA before PIP, but initially i still got knocked back but prevailed in the end.

S

Sophs50522

Hey Creative, Thank you for replying,
Yes I got awarded standard rate daily and standard rate mobility, Great news you got WCA too!! do claiming PIP help WCA? Do they know if you claim it or is it worth mentioning. I really am new to all this so haven't got the foggiest what I should do or prepare for. I just have a feeling they Will put me in the LWC group instead which doesn't really change anything for me as I get carers allowance for caring at the moment so i am not force to look for work but it would be help me more mentally if I could drop some caring hours as i am struggling some days.

C

creative20

I think having PIP must help WCA, you must mention it as it adds credence to your claim, You must be specific to separate your PIP claim from your WCA claim as they are totally different, with PIP you are saying you need help, but with WCA your are saying you cant work..So, the way your are caring for someone must not contradict how you need help for PIP!! I repeat, you must be specific, not sure how the WCA works but the PIP assessor actually rang my Doctors for information, the Doctor was 50% helpful! Good Luck

S

Sophs50522

Ah yes absolutely I agree. I think my caring did go against me at my first PIP assessment as she kept asking me how could I care for someone if I was unable to care for myself.
Thanks for the info! How do they award after the WCA.. Is it on going or do they give award periods? Sorry for all the questions.

C

creative20

Mine was a letter with no end date, but I believe they assess it every 1 to 3 years!

S

Sophs50522

Thank you creative. I just had mine, just as bad as the PIP interview :cry: but it's done. I just hope they fully understood how mental health can affect your ability to work in some cases. She did say she will send it off and I will hear from them soon. How long do a decision take, do you know ?

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

over in america they do alot of different assessments. i was part of a child study team in high school before i was diagnosis with mental illness about 10 years later in rehab. i hope you get your answers and dont read into to it until you get your answers. dont stress! thats what i do! take care.

S

Sophs50522

Thank you bluejay! I'm trying not to stress, difficult times here :low:
I'm glad you managed to get a diagnosis, I'm so fed up of hearing some people say 'oh we all suffer mental health problems' probably to a certain extent but only the people who truly do suffer severely know how difficult it is to live normal life shall we say ? Don't even know what's normal anymore.
So grateful for this forum and these certain times to access Internet! 🙏

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my rents gone up i looked on the council web site to declare it, due to a council computer upgrade my account has disapeared they say all new claims are universal credit and a rent rise is a change of circumstances on the council web site

on top of that my girlfriend or ex has sent me a letter don't come round your making me ill, remember that lecturer saying schitzoprenics shouldn't have jobs and relationships, maybe he's right though if so why is the benefit systen persecuting me if i shouldn't have jobs and relationships

S

Sophs50522

Hey Ramboghettouk .. I'm sorry it sounds like you are having a really tough time at the moment.
That lecturer is not right. You can lead a normal life despite your mental health condition (in certain circumstances obviously).
I am suprised an increase in rent is classed as a change of circumstance. I'd enquire about that. It's usually only having a child. Being made redundant/ starting work. Or living with a new partner etc I'd double check that.
And regards to your girlfriend, could you suggest that she chats to you and gives you some support?
Im not really the best at relationships advice if I am honest :unsure: hope you have a better day tomorrow!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my girlfriend you can't expect much suppport at least that sort of support she's got learning difficulties and mental illness we had the same support worker at one point who said she was iller than me, the support worker got really nasty after seeing the psychiatrist with me the psychiatrist was pushing me working

i don't know about the universal credit thing but they are now allowing those on legacy benefits to transfer, whether it's completely voluntary or maybe they're twisting arms which i worry may apply to me rent as change of circumstances and new housing benefit claims been universal credit maybe

the isolation, anyone i lean on is likely to become an ex friend family don't or won't know, services i was going to this thing at the homeless place but they stopped the grant, it hasn't closed but is completely zombified