work application form

S

Starbright

Hi. I have not applied for any jobs since I've been ill but people I know have. It appears to be common to have the health questionnaire in with the main application. Surely this means that everyone interviewing you and all future managers would know of a person's condition? Is this fair? Do you have the right to ask for a confidential health questionnaire? Shouldn't it be confidential anyway? What are our rights as far as this is concerned?

Thanks a lot in advance.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I'm no expert on it but there's the Disability Discrimination Act which could support you. It depends, I think on the extent of the disability. It is clear though that mental health illnesses can be classed as disabilities and can therefore be covered by the Act making it illegal for anyone to refuse you a job on the basis of the disability. I get the impression that it all comes down to the extent of the illness and whether it therefore counts as a disability.

Hope this helps

D

Dollit

The health questionnaire is not shown to the people who do the interviews usually. This is strictly between HR and Occupational Health. They cannot disclose your health status at interview stage. A health questionnaire whilst part of the application form should be detachable and not seen by the interviewing panel.

I recently applied for formal volunteer status with the police and no one I work with would have been aware of my health status if I hadn't already told them all.

S

Starbright

Thanks, Dollit. I'm pretty sure one of them was not detachable but I can't remember clearly enough to be certain. I will ask for it to be detachable if I have problems in the future. I know I can't work yet but that whole question has been bothering me for a while now.

D

Dollit

When it comes to going back to work we'll help you through it so don't worry about it until then.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Starbright, just wanted to reassure you, and reiterate what Dollit has explained. I've worked for 2 different city councils in education, and Nhs.

Usually when the employee pack is sent to you, whereby you list your bank details, next of kin, address etc. There is usually a separate sheet where you fill in your medical details and Gp etc, and envelope to return your reply directly to OH dept.:)

Not even the Hr manager knew I had chronic health probs - it was never discussed or disclosed. Every job application form asks you to tick a box if you consider yourself to have a disability. The question does not specify if it is a physical/mental disability.

Hope this info is helpful, try not to worry too much :hug: