• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Work Anxiety

W

Wintergirl

My employer has put me in a difficult situation tomorrow, and I can feel it making me anxious, but I keep trying to not think about it as getting anxious isn’t going to solve anything.

I'm a supervisor and Sunday is so demanding, especially after 5pm that two supervisors are required to get everything done. But for the last two weeks my manager has scheduled only me, despite other supervisors being available. He is allowing them to leave early. Last week the second supervisor saw the issue and stayed to help, this weekend the second supervisor (a different person) is refusing. Ever since tomorrow’s supervisor went from a temporary to permanent contract he has become lazy and work shy!

So I approached the manager, which already wasn’t an easy thing for me to do, only to be told no and that I can’t be doing my job properly. Every single person who works Sunday (which my manager does not!) is in agreement over how bad it is after 5pm, but he won’t hear of it. He was actually arguing with me in front of members of the public, who then started calling us childish!

Half my team are off with covid, so I don’t even have strong staff members to ask to act as a second supervisor for the day. They have also cut all overtime (yes, when half the team are off) so the pressure everyone is expected to perform under is ridiculous. And no one who works after 5:15pm has the authority to help me with the duties that need doing, and without overtime I can’t ask any of them to stay to support me.

This situation is making me have nightmares about work. I just have to deal with it as it comes, but it’s making me anxious and I shouldn’t be put in this position when four supervisors are contracted to work until 6pm!

W

Wintergirl

Well today’s the day. I don’t feel well but my covid lateral flow was negative, so I have to go in and face the day.

W

Wintergirl

I guess I’ll just type to myself here, as I have more work stuff to let out.

My employer has just let a group of staff go, and also completely cut overtime to zero. They were failing to notice that they were leaving the place completely unmanned at times! I pointed it out yesterday. So suddenly it became my responsibility to fix the issues, with no overtime use and without keeping the people who had been given notice. All the staff are now under extreme pressure - some having to do very physical tasks for hours at a time. We usually try to limit those physical tasks to one hour per person.

It’s like a house of cards right now - all it takes is one unknown variable, and everything is going to come crashing down. I hope my employer spots this quickly. I spent most of yesterday preparing documentation to try to demonstrate the impact it will have and I’m really hoping that after only a couple of days of this craziness they will soon realise I was right and start putting out overtime again.

I’m literally fuelled by stress and adrenaline right now.