• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Work and mental health

A

Ajasmine

Hi im currently wfh. I rang in sick to my work today.Ive been struggling with anxiety and depression for a couple of weeks. I take meds for it. I feel so guilty for ringing in sick but know that I needed a break.
My manager said to me - what happened to make me feel like this. I dont know but they made me feel like i should have definitive reason. They said if you take your meds this morning than youll be better to work in the afternoon but it doesnt work that way.
Im having a bad time with it and i feel like im being judged for it. I dont get why mental health in the workplace is misunderstood.In the past when i said i have a virus its been such an easier conversation. Am i the only one who feels like this.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I think it depends on which workplace, at my previous job they was always acceptable to people calling in sick for either being burned out to depression etc.

Because it was a common thing at that place with people becoming burned out. So the bosses understood but not all workplaces will have an understanding for mental health. Some don’t even believe in mental health and just think it’s a hoax. So it will all come down to how people understand mental health.

Sometimes it feel like they would need to walk in our shoes to fully understand how it is. A bit like the idiom: Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. I think people would have a better understanding.

jajingna

jajingna

I dont get why mental health in the workplace is misunderstood
Like Talina said, it depends on the people there. It's widely misunderstood by people everywhere, so I guess those who have co-workers and employers who do understand, are fortunate.

A

Ajasmine

Thanks guys i just self harmed and i dont know why. I guess I just wanted to feel better. Im so tired of this and having noone to turn to l. Noone understands 😥

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Ajasmine. Welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to see you have hurt yourself. It sounds like your manager may have been trying to understand what you are going through. For some people there is a trigger for their depression or anxiety. I can understand how this made you feel uncomfortable as you did not have a trigger. It can feel really hard not to have people who understand. You have come to the right place as we will understand how you feel.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Mental Health is tricky, but very serious... Mental Health Experiences 1
S Dealing with worsening mental health Mental Health Experiences 3
M Mental health in the family Mental Health Experiences 1
T Mental Health Days Mental Health Experiences 5
L Trigger!! Partner blaming me for him being offf work due to my mental health!! Mental Health Experiences 13
H Is it possible for a person unable to work due to mental health to eventually have a successful life and career? Mental Health Experiences 3
L mental health assessment Mental Health Experiences 2
Marrex My Mental Health Experiences Mental Health Experiences 1
T Mental health services are disappointing us Mental Health Experiences 13
D How long are mental health act assessments usually Mental Health Experiences 4
anex Grad school and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
Number 1 G Mental Health Psychiatrists & Home Care Or Other Area's Should Be Sued! Mental Health Experiences 1
S Seeing Duke In Mental Health With No Cure Mental Health Experiences 3
dovah1024 Combating work overload and mental health... Mental Health Experiences 13
T I think my mental health is making me physically sick. is that possible? Mental Health Experiences 2
A_Wilted_Daisy Eating, sleeping, and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
D Mental health scares people. Mental Health Experiences 23
mysteryloris Mental health professionals Mental Health Experiences 12
B What's the Best advice you have been given (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 10
jajingna Do most people have mental health problems? Mental Health Experiences 13
A Mental Health state of International Students in Australia Mental Health Experiences 1
L What I've learned about my mental health Mental Health Experiences 7
A what is mental health? lets scrap the stigma Mental Health Experiences 1
W Mental health care, Hard pill to swallow Mental Health Experiences 7
River of Circle guilt for having mental health issues and not disclosing them Mental Health Experiences 2
Lance__ Joker film - would you recommend it (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 15
Mr Oreo Bunny Are mental health problems related to other things?? Mental Health Experiences 2
W Coming out online about mental health Mental Health Experiences 8
R Why is it so hard to talk to people about mental health? Mental Health Experiences 12
D Trauma from mental health hospital Mental Health Experiences 13
H A dog has lowered my mental health symptoms Mental Health Experiences 6
H Starting to drink and mental health Mental Health Experiences 4
W Why do people get mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 20
U Why be open on mental health? Mental Health Experiences 13
Drawings_T Coming to terms with parents ignoring my mental health Mental Health Experiences 9
Amelia2020 Mental illness where moods shift: anger, sadness, etc. Mental Health Experiences 2
C Unknown Mental Illness Mental Health Experiences 2
S What it's like when everyone in the house has mental problems Mental Health Experiences 4
jacquelinx Mental hospital vent Mental Health Experiences 4
I A mix of mental issues being 22 Mental Health Experiences 1
O Weird habits associated with mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 9
Ineedhelp2921 Dealing with mental illness Mental Health Experiences 1
S Is it gaslighting, or am I just more mental than I thought? Mental Health Experiences 19
T Are sleep problems related to mental problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel depressed. My mental problems are stopping me from living Mental Health Experiences 1
R Are more people with mental illness single and poor? Mental Health Experiences 40
Soladwor The more I live, the more I realize that not many strangers want to help me get out of this mental rut. Mental Health Experiences 1
P Mental illness and work Mental Health Experiences 14
A partnership - mental harm service <- not my belief its my experience Mental Health Experiences 1
M Mental illness + long distance = difficult Mental Health Experiences 1